What is the meaning of Arrhenius behavior?

In summary, Arrhenius behavior refers to the explanation proposed by physical chemist Arrhenius that chemical reactions in solution occur between ions, rather than just during electrolysis. This concept is described by the Arrhenius relationship, an empirical relationship that states that reactions occur faster at higher temperatures and with lower activation energy.
Topher925
I'm always reading about reactions or physical phenomena having Arrhenius behavior. But I can't figure out what that means. I obviously did a search and I learned a lot about the physical chemist Arrhenius, but nothing about what the adjective named after him means.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The most important idea in the dissertation was his explanation of the fact that neither pure salts nor pure water is a conductor, but solutions of salts in water are.

Arrhenius' explanation was that in forming a solution, the salt dissociates into charged particles (which Michael Faraday had given the name ions many years earlier). Faraday's belief had been that ions were produced in the process of electrolysis; Arrhenius proposed that, even in the absence of an electric current, solutions of salts contained ions. He thus proposed that chemical reactions in solution were reactions between ions. For weak electrolytes this is still believed to be the case, but modifications (by Peter J. W. Debye and Erich Hückel) were found necessary to account for the behavior of strong electrolytes.

From this I would guess that one would describe a reaction in solution occurring between ions as Arrhenius behavior.

Perhaps you're thinking of the Arrhenius relationship?
http://www.weibull.com/AccelTestWeb/arrhenius_relationship_chap_.htm

[tex]A e^{-\frac{E_{A}}{k_{B} T}}[/tex]

Empirical relationship saying that things happen faster when it gets hotter ([itex]k_{B}[/itex], Boltzman's constant multiplied by Temperature), and faster when there's a low activation energy / energy barrier ([itex]E_{A}[/itex]).

MATLABdude said:
Perhaps you're thinking of the Arrhenius relationship?
http://www.weibull.com/AccelTestWeb/arrhenius_relationship_chap_.htm

[tex]A e^{-\frac{E_{A}}{k_{B} T}}[/tex]

Empirical relationship saying that things happen faster when it gets hotter ([itex]k_{B}[/itex], Boltzman's constant multiplied by Temperature), and faster when there's a low activation energy / energy barrier ([itex]E_{A}[/itex]).

YES! Thanks, I can't believe I didn't know this. It seems so obvious.

Last edited:
It generally refers to the rate of reaction as Matlabdude indicated. In most discussions, it refers to the doubling of a given rate of reaction per 10oC increase in temperature.

1. What is Arrhenius behavior?

Arrhenius behavior refers to the behavior of a chemical reaction at different temperatures. It states that as the temperature increases, the reaction rate increases exponentially.

2. Who was Arrhenius and what did he contribute to this concept?

Jacobus Henricus van 't Hoff was a Dutch chemist who proposed the theory of Arrhenius behavior in 1889. He contributed to this concept by developing the mathematical equation that describes the relationship between temperature and reaction rate.

3. How does Arrhenius behavior explain the effect of temperature on reaction rate?

According to Arrhenius behavior, increasing the temperature of a reaction increases the kinetic energy of the reactant molecules, causing them to move and collide more frequently and with greater energy. This results in a higher reaction rate.

4. Are there any exceptions to Arrhenius behavior?

While Arrhenius behavior is a general rule for most chemical reactions, there are some exceptions. For example, some reactions may undergo a change in mechanism at high temperatures, resulting in a decrease in reaction rate.

5. How is the Arrhenius equation used to calculate reaction rate constants?

The Arrhenius equation, k = Ae-Ea/RT, is used to calculate the reaction rate constant (k) at a given temperature. A is a pre-exponential factor, Ea is the activation energy, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.