What is atrioventricular septum?

• Thread starter sameeralord
  • Start date
In summary, the atrioventricular septum is a septum of the heart between the right atrium and the left ventricle. It's heard to see on diagrams because of the apparent overlapping of the pulmonary artery and aortic root. There is a small area of the atrio-ventricular septum to the left of the tricuspid valve where the right atrium is a "above" (actually more anterior to) the left ventricle.
sameeralord
Hello everyone,

Wiki: The atrioventricular septum is a septum of the heart between the right atrium (RA) and the left ventricle (LV).

I can't identify this in pics. I have not heard of a connection between right atrium ad left ventricle. Is this some embryological structure or can you see it in normal heart. Are tricupsid and mitral regions also called atrioventriclar regions? Can anyone provide me a clear pic. Thanks :smile:

Biology news on Phys.org
sameeralord said:
Hello everyone,

Wiki: The atrioventricular septum is a septum of the heart between the right atrium (RA) and the left ventricle (LV).

I can't identify this in pics. I have not heard of a connection between right atrium ad left ventricle. Is this some embryological structure or can you see it in normal heart. Are tricupsid and mitral regions also called atrioventriclar regions? Can anyone provide me a clear pic. Thanks :smile:

It's heard to see on diagrams because of the apparent overlapping of the pulmonary artery and aortic root. There is small area of the atrio-ventricular septum to the left of the tricuspid valve where the right atrium is a "above" (actually more anterior to) the left ventricle but it really can't be seen in 2D except with specific cuts.

The tricuspid valve prevents backflow from the right ventricle into the right atrium while the mitral valve prevents backflow from the left ventrical into the left atrium in systole. The regions are relevant atrioventricular septa.

http://www.cardioconsult.com/Anatomy/

SW VandeCarr said:
It's heard to see on diagrams because of the apparent overlapping of the pulmonary artery and aortic root. There is small area of the atrio-ventricular septum to the left of the tricuspid valve where the right atrium is a "above" (actually more anterior to) the left ventricle but it really can't be seen in 2D except with specific cuts.

The tricuspid valve prevents backflow from the right ventricle into the right atrium while the mitral valve prevents backflow from the left ventrical into the left atrium in systole. The regions are relevant atrioventricular septa.

http://www.cardioconsult.com/Anatomy/

1. What is the atrioventricular septum?

The atrioventricular septum is a part of the heart that separates the two lower chambers, or ventricles, from the two upper chambers, or atria. It is made up of connective tissue and helps to maintain the structure and function of the heart.

2. What is the function of the atrioventricular septum?

The main function of the atrioventricular septum is to prevent the mixing of oxygenated and deoxygenated blood in the heart. It also helps to regulate the flow of blood between the atria and ventricles, ensuring that blood is pumped efficiently to the rest of the body.

3. How is the atrioventricular septum different from other heart structures?

The atrioventricular septum is unique in that it is composed of both muscular and fibrous tissue, whereas other heart structures are primarily made of either muscle or connective tissue. It also serves a specific purpose in separating the atria and ventricles, while other structures have different functions.

4. Can the atrioventricular septum be damaged or diseased?

Yes, the atrioventricular septum can be affected by various heart diseases and conditions. For example, a hole in the septum can occur as a congenital defect, and a thickened septum can be a sign of hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. Damage to this structure can also occur as a result of a heart attack or other cardiac events.

5. How is the atrioventricular septum visualized and studied?

The atrioventricular septum can be visualized and studied using various imaging techniques, such as echocardiography, MRI, and CT scans. These methods allow for a detailed view of the structure and can help diagnose any abnormalities or diseases affecting the septum.