Basic hydraulic pump work-energy relationship

In summary, the conversation discusses the pressure-volume relationship in the left ventricle of the heart and the concept of isovolumetric contraction. The effect of pressure and temperature on density is also mentioned, with examples from water and other substances. The conclusion is that in a closed system with constant mass, a change in density must also result in a change in volume.
Ignis24
I have a very simple question that's been driving me nuts. It's biology context, but probably all the physics equates to normal positive displacement pumps.

The pressure in and volume of the left ventricle of the heart can be measured experimentally. (For example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure-volume_loop_analysis_in_cardiology). During a typical contraction, blood stored in the atrium first fills the ventricle while the muscular wall is relaxed. When the ventricle is full enough, the ventricle wall begins to contract. The rising pressure in the ventricle pushes the mitral valve that leads to the atrium closed, meaning there's no backflow out from then on. When the pressure gets high enough, it pushes the aortic valve open, and the ventricle ejects the blood into the aorta.

The phase of contraction after the mitral valve closes but before the aortic valve opens is called isovolumetric contraction. When I first heard this, I assumed that "isovolumetric" has to be a simplification like "infinite conducting wire". I can imagine, from a biological perspective, that the ventricle wall could get stiffer without the ventricle changing its volume. But I have no idea how this increasing stiffness could be translated into rising pressure in the blood inside the ventricle. If the wall does not move, how can it do work on the blood to raise the pressure? How does the blood know how stiff the ventricle wall is if nothing is moving in the system? My guess was, the ventricle is actually shrinking a tiny amount (and blood is not actually perfectly incompressible), which allows for energy transfer to the blood to account for the pressure rise.

My professor swears that I'm confused, and the contraction is truly isovolumetric - not just unmeasurably small. But I still couldn't follow him. Basically, what I'm stuck on is if you block up the outlet of a pump, how does the pressure go up inside?

Thanks...

Engineering news on Phys.org
Changes of density

In general, density can be changed by changing either the pressure or the temperature. Increasing the pressure always increases the density of a material. Increasing the temperature generally decreases the density, but there are notable exceptions to this generalization. For example, the density of water increases between its melting point at 0 °C and 4 °C; similar behavior is observed in silicon at low temperatures.

The effect of pressure and temperature on the densities of liquids and solids is small. The compressibility for a typical liquid or solid is 10−6 bar−1 (1 bar = 0.1 MPa) and a typical thermal expansivity is 10−5 K−1. This roughly translates into needing around ten thousand times atmospheric pressure to reduce the volume of a substance by one percent. (Although the pressures needed may be around a thousand times smaller for sandy soil and some clays.) A one percent expansion of volume typically requires a temperature increase on the order of thousands of degrees Celsius.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Density#Changes_of_density

If nothing goes in and nothing goes out (i.e. mass is constant), then if the density varies, the volume must also vary.

For example, this is the pressure-temperature-density relationship for water (source: http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/fluid-density-temperature-pressure-d_309.html):

water-density-temperature-pressure_2.png

According to the equation found in the previous link, increasing the pressure of water by 12 000 Pa (90 mmHg) would result in a density increase (or volume decrease) of only 0.00048 %.

I would argue the infinitesimal volume change.

1. How does a hydraulic pump work?

A hydraulic pump uses mechanical energy to create fluid flow and pressure. This is accomplished by rotating an impeller or gear, which creates a vacuum that draws in fluid. The fluid is then pushed through a series of chambers and valves, which increases its pressure. The high-pressure fluid is then sent to the desired location for use.

2. What is the work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump?

The work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump is based on the principle of conservation of energy. The mechanical energy used to rotate the impeller or gear is converted into potential energy in the form of high-pressure fluid. This potential energy can then be used to do work, such as lifting or moving heavy objects.

3. How is the energy efficiency of a hydraulic pump measured?

The energy efficiency of a hydraulic pump is typically measured by its overall efficiency, which takes into account both the mechanical and volumetric efficiency. Mechanical efficiency refers to the percentage of mechanical energy that is converted into fluid flow and pressure, while volumetric efficiency measures the percentage of fluid that is actually delivered to the desired location.

4. What factors affect the work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump?

The work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump can be affected by several factors, including the type and design of the pump, the speed and power of the motor driving the pump, the viscosity of the fluid being pumped, and the size and condition of the pump's components. Other external factors, such as temperature and altitude, can also impact the pump's performance.

5. How can the work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump be optimized?

To optimize the work-energy relationship in a hydraulic pump, it is important to choose the right type and size of pump for the intended application. Regular maintenance and proper lubrication can also help improve the pump's efficiency. Additionally, using high-quality fluids with the correct viscosity and keeping the pump's components clean and free of debris can also contribute to optimal performance.