Edge of the Universe: Is It Real?

In summary, the idea of an "edge of the universe" is not based on evidence, and may be perpetuated by pop-sci sources.
John Morrell
So I'm sure you've all heard people talk about increasing expansion of the universe, the compact nature of the universe at the moment of the big bang, and other comments like this. The idea of an expanding universe immediately suggests to me an "edge" of the universe, which is something often referred to in pop-science (for the record, I know that expansion does not necessarily mean a movement of the boundary of the universe, it means an expansion of the internal volume. I just don't know if this is the only real implication of this).

My question is, is the idea of an "edge of the universe" really valid, or is this just a erroneous view perpetuated by pop-sci sources? Is there a real edge of space, is it just like a bubble of energy and mass outside of which there is absolutely nothing, or is this totally incorrect? What do QFT and modern models have to say about this?

Space news on Phys.org
As far as I'm concerned, that is nothing but pop-sci. If there was an edge to the universe, that would imply there is a center as well. According to Big Bang theory, this cannot be true because the Big Bang didn't occur at one point; it occurred everywhere and simultaneously.

John Morrell said:
... is the idea of an "edge of the universe" really valid ...
Absolutely not

Thanks, but could you explain a bit more? Is the universe infinitely large, or is it somehow circular so if you go far enough in one straight line you return to your starting point?

John Morrell said:
Thanks, but could you explain a bit more? Is the universe infinitely large, or is it somehow circular so if you go far enough in one straight line you return to your starting point?
Yes, it's probably one or the other but we have no idea which. In any case, there is no edge and no center. I recommend the link in my signature.

Okay, cool. I was in the process of asking why the universe couldn't be finite with a center and then I realized that that had already been answered. Thanks!

John Morrell said:
The idea of an expanding universe immediately suggests to me an "edge" of the universe

Same here - I have to make deliberate efforts to get past that notion. It helped me to change my internal articulation from 'the universe is expanding' to 'the universe is becoming less dense'. The universe was denser in the past than it is now. The extent of the universe being infinite or finite is not different now than it was in the past.

I can say it, but my brain can only make a picture for me using an analogy like Phinds describes in his discussion of the balloon analogy. I struggle trying to mentally picture an infinite flat universe moving away from every part of itself; like you, I keep wanting an edge in that picture.

Likes phinds

1. Is there an edge to the universe?

Currently, scientists do not have a definitive answer to whether there is an edge to the universe. Our current understanding of the universe suggests that it is infinite and does not have an edge. However, there are theories that propose the universe could have a finite size and could potentially have an edge.

2. What is beyond the edge of the universe?

Since we do not yet know if the universe has an edge, we also cannot determine what lies beyond it. Some theories suggest that there could be other universes beyond our own, while others propose that there may be nothing beyond the edge of the universe.

3. How can we measure the edge of the universe?

Currently, there is no way to directly measure the edge of the universe. This is because the universe is constantly expanding and we are limited by the speed of light, making it difficult to observe the entire universe. Scientists use various methods, such as studying the cosmic microwave background radiation, to estimate the size and shape of the universe.

4. Can we ever reach the edge of the universe?

Based on our current understanding of physics, it is highly unlikely that we will ever be able to physically reach the edge of the universe. The universe is expanding at a rapid rate, making it impossible for us to travel far enough to reach the edge. Additionally, the journey would take an incredibly long time and require technology that we do not currently have.

5. How does the concept of an edge to the universe relate to the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin and evolution of the universe. According to this theory, the universe began as a singularity and has been expanding ever since. The concept of an edge to the universe is often linked to the Big Bang theory, as it raises questions about the shape and size of the universe before and after the initial expansion event. However, the Big Bang theory does not definitively answer the question of whether there is an edge to the universe.