What is causing the LED to light up when touched without a direct connection?

In summary, the conversation discusses the phenomenon of an LED lighting up when touched and the factors that affect its brightness. It is noted that the polarity does not matter, but the amount of metal in contact with the LED does affect its brightness. The conversation also explores ways to reproduce this lighting effect without touching the LED, such as using a battery or taking advantage of nearby power main wires and electric fields. The possibility of the person's body acting as an antenna and the metal plate acting as a capacitor is also considered. However, the exact circuit part that the person touching the LED represents is still unknown.
Artlav
An LED lights up when i touch it.
One leg is attached to a piece of metal, other is the one i touch.
Polarity does not matter.
Amount of metal maters - table frame makes it full bright, half-meter steel ruler makes it dim, a piece of wire makes it just visible.
Touching that piece of metal makes the light go off.

This only happens when there are power main wires nearby, which suggest an induction effect.
I want to reproduce that light without touching the LED.
The question is - what am i in the circuit?

I tried attaching the second leg to several coils, with not a slightest result.
I also tried a 680pF capacitor, also without a result.
Peculiarly, the LED is lit if i touch the side of the capacitor, which is ceramic.
Combing the hair to make static charges does not affect the brightness.
And that exhausts my familiarity with electricity.

What is going on here?
How can i get the LED to light up like that without touching it?

Science news on Phys.org
Hook it up to a battery.

"This only happens when there are power main wires nearby".
There is an electric field outside a power wire.
That could provide the EMF.

Antientrophy said:
Hook it up to a battery.
That would be boring.
clem said:
"This only happens when there are power main wires nearby".
There is an electric field outside a power wire.
That could provide the EMF.
As i suspected.
The question is, what kind of circuit part me touching it is?

i doubt your induction theory . because if the induction is due to the ac supply then the led should be ON and OFF very rapidly . it should not glow continuously (@reverse bias of a diode ). of course that blink might not be tangible but its still a thought ... i can not explain the capacitor effect but i think referring to your original question you are the ground.

Maybe it's your electric personality? :-)

If you are in an area where there's a strong electric field from a local source (so the field drops sharply with distance), your body could act as a crude antenna, while the metal plate could be acting as a capacitor coupling it to ground. Then when you touch the LED, one half of the cycles conduct current thru the LED to illuminate it. If it's an AC mains field at 50 or 60Hz, it's too fast to detect the on/off blinking so it looks like it's on continuously. Just a guess!

What causes an LED to light up when touched?

When an LED is touched, it creates a small electrical current due to the body's conductivity. This current is enough to activate the LED and make it light up.

Why do some LED lights only light up when touched by certain materials?

Some materials, such as metals, are more conductive than others. This means that they allow electricity to flow through them more easily, making them more likely to activate an LED when touched.

Can LED lights be powered by touch alone?

No, LED lights cannot be powered by touch alone. While touching an LED can activate it, it still needs a power source, such as a battery, to produce light.

Is it safe to touch an LED light when it is turned on?

Yes, it is safe to touch an LED light when it is turned on. LEDs produce very little heat, so you are unlikely to get burned. However, always make sure to handle them carefully to avoid damaging the delicate components.

Are there any other ways to activate an LED besides touch?

Yes, there are other ways to activate an LED besides touch. LEDs can also be activated by applying pressure, heat, or even sound waves. Some advanced LED technologies can even be controlled by gestures or movements.