What is convection in a serpentine flow field?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the word "serpentine" in an essay about memories, written by a former physics professor. The phrase "convection in a serpentine flow field" is used, which raises confusion as to how it relates to the subject being written about. Some suggest it could be a metaphor for confusion or a process of understanding, while others question the accuracy of the word "field" in the phrase. Overall, it is concluded that the author may have been using the phrase as a scientific metaphor, rather than a literal description.
nothing02
Hi all. Rather than a physics student, I'm a translator, and tucked into a piece I'm translating from Japanese is an obscure (to me) physics reference. The sentence goes something like, "It seems a type of convection is taking place amid the serpentine flow of my memory." If someone could explain to me in the plainest possible English what this refers to, keeping in mind I have no physics background past high school, I would much appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the subject being written about in the document generally and what is the text before and after that particular phrase ?

nothing02 said:
serpentine

serpentine is a type of rock ... is it a geology book ?

"Serpentine" means wavy, meandering, this way & that, like the motion of a snake, as opposed to direct, in a straight line. It's hard to imagine "convection in a serpentine flow field". It sounds like the author is trying to use a scientific metaphor, perhaps without a clear idea of the science.

Likes sophiecentaur
mjc123 said:
"Serpentine" means wavy, meandering, this way & that, like the motion of a snake, as opposed to direct, in a straight line. It's hard to imagine "convection in a serpentine flow field". It sounds like the author is trying to use a scientific metaphor, perhaps without a clear idea of the science.
The word suggests to me the pattern of smoke rising, 'lazily' from a cigarette, like a serpent, in random curves from side to side. Adding the word "field" doesn't make it easy to understand but it the metaphor makes good sense to me when referred to a memory process. My memory works that way all the time.

sophiecentaur said:
The word suggests to me the pattern of smoke rising, 'lazily' from a cigarette, like a serpent, in random curves from side to side. Adding the word "field" doesn't make it easy to understand but it the metaphor makes good sense to me when referred to a memory process. My memory works that way all the time.

I agree about the smoke. The puzzling part is the phrase "my memory" at the end of the sentence. It doesn't belong in a scientific subject.

Could the "my memory" be a translation error?

Thanks for the replies. The whole essay is about the author's memories, so that part definitely isn't a translation error - the essay doesn't have much to do with physics other than this sentence, but the author was a physics professor, so I do think he at least knew what he was talking about. The part that could be an error is the word "field" - it might be more accurate to just call it a "serpentine flow." However, I've found references like the following that make me think otherwise: https://www.comsol.com/model/fuel-cell-with-serpentine-flow-field-14449

In this particular passage, the author is talking about how memories from different parts of his life seem to be getting mixed together in his mind. Does that make any sense as a physics metaphor related to convection and serpentine flow? Thanks for any insights.

burning-cigarette-smoke.jpg

i would say a metaphor for confusion, not physics. Your question perhaps fits better on a psychology forum rather than a physics forum.

Likes sophiecentaur
It sounds fine as a metaphor; it's just the combination of convection and serpentine flow that sounds a bit confused - perhaps I'm taking the metaphor a bit too literally, but how would you detect/characterise/distinguish convection in the presence of a serpentine flow field? Maybe the serpentine flow comes from the convection - think of the classic experiment of putting a crystal of potassium permanganate in a beaker of water and heating it from below, and watching the stream of purple rise and fall with the convection current (plus diffusion of course).

Could loosely be interpreted as the emergence of an organised flow from a chaotic flow .

As if in the chaotic organisation of his life's memories some process is working to sort out the memories of pivotal events from the general mess . As the process progresses he begins to see more clearly what the worth of his life and life's work has been ?

or

He is describing a process of coming to understand a scientific problem more and more clearly as he ponders and digests the mass of information in his memories about his lifetime's research work ?

mjc123 said:
perhaps I'm taking the metaphor a bit too literally,
I think you may be. It's not a question that fits the PF guidelines but, nonetheless it produced a nice picture of smoke, about to give someone lung cancer. :nb)
The word "serpentine" isn't used enough, imo. But it was "convection" that brought the OP to PF and the words were combined by the original author in a pretty well non-Physics sort of way.

Likes davenn

What is convection?

Convection is a process of heat transfer in which hot material rises and cooler material sinks, creating a circular flow. This is commonly seen in fluids such as air or water.

What is a serpentine flow field?

A serpentine flow field is a type of fluid flow in which the path of the fluid follows a series of interconnected curves or turns, resembling the shape of a serpent.

How does convection occur in a serpentine flow field?

In a serpentine flow field, convection occurs due to the uneven heating of the fluid. As the fluid moves through the serpentine path, it encounters areas of different temperatures, causing it to rise or sink depending on the temperature difference.

What are the applications of convection in a serpentine flow field?

Convection in a serpentine flow field has various applications, including in heat transfer systems, fluid dynamics, and in the Earth's atmosphere and oceans.

How is convection in a serpentine flow field different from other types of convection?

The main difference between convection in a serpentine flow field and other types of convection is the specific path of the fluid flow. In a serpentine flow field, the flow is directed along a series of turns and curves, while in other types of convection, the flow may be more linear or turbulent.