What is enthelpy for an adiabatic process

In summary, the conversation discusses an adiabatic compression process with given initial and final pressure, volume, and temperature. The question is how to find ΔH, with the equation ΔH=ΔU+ΔPV. The experts suggest using the adiabatic condition and the enthalpy of an ideal gas, which is a function of temperature. The final solution is ΔH=nCpΔT, where n is the number of moles and Cp is the molar heat capacity at constant pressure.
HethensEnd25
I have a question I hope someone may be able to answer.

I am currently working out an adiabatic compression process that gives me an initial pressure,volume, and temperature. Along with a final pressure and given that the cylinder/piston assembly does not conduct any heat. Another given is that the Cp=3.5R

I have done the work to solve for my gamma and the final volume and temperature for the system. With that I was able to calculate work done by the system which is also the change in internal energy.

My question is how do I find ΔH?

I know that ΔH=ΔU+ΔPV, but I just don't think my way of thinking is correct as I would assume that I would substitute for ΔU=Q-W where I know Q will equal zero.

leading me to an equation of ===> ΔH=dQ-dW+ΔPV leading me to an answer of 0.

Is this a correct assumption? I look forward to any and all productive feed back.

Best Regards,

Dylan

Chemistry news on Phys.org
HethensEnd25 said:
I have a question I hope someone may be able to answer.

I am currently working out an adiabatic compression process that gives me an initial pressure,volume, and temperature. Along with a final pressure and given that the cylinder/piston assembly does not conduct any heat. Another given is that the Cp=3.5R

I have done the work to solve for my gamma and the final volume and temperature for the system. With that I was able to calculate work done by the system which is also the change in internal energy.

My question is how do I find ΔH?

I know that ΔH=ΔU+ΔPV, but I just don't think my way of thinking is correct as I would assume that I would substitute for ΔU=Q-W where I know Q will equal zero.

leading me to an equation of ===> ΔH=dQ-dW+ΔPV leading me to an answer of 0.

Is this a correct assumption? I look forward to any and all productive feed back.
Be careful: ##\Delta (PV) = \int PdV + \int VdP##

Since ##\Delta Q = \Delta U + \int PdV## (first law) and ##\Delta H = \Delta U + \int PdV + \int VdP##, for adiabatic processes where ##\Delta Q = 0##, this means ##\Delta H = \int VdP##.

AM

Thank you Andrew for your prompt response.

My only question is with what volume will I be using for my calculations and why? Will I be using the final Volume or the Initial?

HethensEnd25 said:
Thank you Andrew for your prompt response.

My only question is with what volume will I be using for my calculations and why? Will I be using the final Volume or the Initial?
You have to integrate VdP over the process. If you know the relationship between V and P during the process you can work this out.

If the gas is ideal, you can try using the adiabatic condition: ##PV^\gamma = P_0V_0^\gamma##. The adiabatic condition assumes a reversible process but it is often a good approximation for a even quick non-reversible adiabatic expansions or compressions involving small volumes (where the average molecular speed is such that the distance covered by an average molecule during the process is several times the distance between walls).

AM

since it is an ideal gas would I be able to just fit the expression so that V=RT/P that way I get the equation into the form of

RT∫(1/P)dP

And calculate from there.Also I appreciate your answers Andrew and was wondering if you had any recommended sources to practice single region partial derivatives.

I am still trying to fine tune my working with the subject.

Best Regards,

D

HethensEnd25 said:
since it is an ideal gas would I be able to just fit the expression so that V=RT/P that way I get the equation into the form of

RT∫(1/P)dP
T is not going to be constant. Work is done by or on the gas, so U must change, which means T must change. If T were constant, heat flow would have to occur, which means it is not adiabatic.

AM

You just have to calculate delta pV, which onli depends on the initial and final state.

If you are using ##\gamma##, you must be treating it as an ideal gas. The enthalpy of an ideal gas is a function only of temperature. It is given by:
$$\Delta H=nC_p\Delta T$$
You know the number of moles, the molar heat capacity at constant pressure, and the temperature change. So, in addition to DrDu's method, this method will also give the same result.

DrDu said:
You just have to calculate delta pV, which onli depends on the initial and final state.
Chestermiller said:
If you are using ##\gamma##, you must be treating it as an ideal gas. The enthalpy of an ideal gas is a function only of temperature. It is given by:
$$\Delta H=nC_p\Delta T$$
You know the number of moles, the molar heat capacity at constant pressure, and the temperature change. So, in addition to DrDu's method, this method will also give the same result.
That's right. ##\Delta H = \Delta U + \Delta(PV) = \Delta U + \int PdV + \int VdP##. For an adiabatic process, ##\Delta U = -\int PdV## so ##\int VdP = \Delta(PV) - \int PdV = \Delta (PV) + \Delta U = nR\Delta T + nC_v\Delta T = nC_p\Delta T = \Delta H##

AM

Last edited:
Likes DoobleD

1. What is enthalpy?

Enthalpy is a thermodynamic property that measures the total energy of a system, including its internal energy and the work required to create or maintain the system at a constant pressure. It is often represented by the symbol H and is measured in units of joules (J).

2. What is an adiabatic process?

An adiabatic process is a thermodynamic process in which there is no exchange of heat between the system and its surroundings. This means that the change in internal energy of the system is solely due to work done by or on the system. In other words, the heat energy remains constant in an adiabatic process.

3. How does the enthalpy change in an adiabatic process?

In an adiabatic process, there is no exchange of heat, so the change in enthalpy is equal to the work done by or on the system. If the system does work on its surroundings, the enthalpy decreases, and if work is done on the system, the enthalpy increases.

4. What is the significance of enthalpy in an adiabatic process?

Enthalpy is an important concept in thermodynamics as it helps us understand the energy changes that occur during a process. In an adiabatic process, enthalpy can tell us how much work is required for the system to maintain its constant pressure, or how much work the system can do on its surroundings.

5. Can enthalpy be measured directly in an adiabatic process?

No, enthalpy cannot be measured directly in an adiabatic process as there is no heat transfer. However, it can be calculated by measuring the change in internal energy and the work done by or on the system. It is also possible to indirectly measure enthalpy by measuring other thermodynamic properties such as temperature and pressure.