What is faster the cannon ball or its shadow?

In summary: Why is that?But... if you fired the cannon at noon at a location south of the equator, the shadow would move faster than the ball. Why is that?
Liam Teevens
I'm trying to finish my physics homework and one of the questions is somewhat philosophical.

Problem:

A cannon ball is shot at noon (12pm), what is faster? The cannon ball or its shadow? That's all the question is :p

Physics news on Phys.org
Liam Teevens said:
The cannon ball or its shadow?
You're firing due north at zero muzzle elevation at the gates of the "walled city of your choice" over a level plain. What's the path of the cannon ball? What's the path of the shadow?

Bystander said:
You're firing due north at zero muzzle elevation at the gates of the "walled city of your choice" over a level plain. What's the path of the cannon ball? What's the path of the shadow?
I am not sure as this is my first year of taking physics, but at noon the shadow and the ball would have the same path? They would be the same speed?

You're 1 mile south of the North Pole and firing due east at zero muzzle elevation. Since you're now in an M-1 Abrams your cannon's muzzle velocity is ~ 5,000 feet per second. The time of year is the autumnal, or vernal, equinox, your choice. The Earth's curvature is such that for every mile distant from you a range pole, or levelling rod, or elevation stake will "drop" about 4" below your line of sight. Second shot will be at 1/2 mile south of the pole, again due east, again at the equinox.

Liam Teevens said:
A cannon ball is shot at noon (12pm), what is faster? The cannon ball or its shadow? That's all the question is :p

I don't feel that there's enough information here to answer it. It feels like a trick question.

Liam Teevens said:
I am not sure as this is my first year of taking physics, but at noon the shadow and the ball would have the same path? They would be the same speed?
The shadow moves on the ground. An the ball?

ehild said:
The shadow moves on the ground. An the ball?
Or, a similar question: a ball is thrown straight up at noon - which travels faster, the shadow or the ball?

Likes Bystander
Borg said:
Or, a similar question: a ball is thrown straight up at noon - which travels faster, the shadow or the ball?
The perfect statement of the question, and the conditions under which it is answered are N or S of 45th parallels (or on) at either equinox.

In order to be easier to understand, the question should say something like - A cannon ball is shot while the sun is directly overhead at noon (12pm), what is faster?
Bystander said:
The perfect statement of the question, and the conditions under which it is answered are N or S of 45th parallels (or on) at either equinox.
Do you mean the Tropic of Cancer and the Tropic of Capricorn? Those are located at approx. 23°26′ N and S of the equator. Beyond that, the shadow couldn't be directly under an object on any day of the year.
Edit: I see the flaw in my logic now.

Last edited:
Bystander said:
No. I really do mean 45 degrees N or S parallels --- at noon --- on either equinox.
I'm missing something then but I do see a hole in my logic when a ball is thrown straight up at the north pole. In any case, the OP should probably assume that the sun is directly overhead.

Liam, if you could give us a context for the question it would help us a lot coming up with an appropriate answer for you. Chapter headings, one or two of the other questions in the problem set, something to let us "tune in" on just what is being expected of you.
@Liam Teevens

At any instant, the cannon ball travels at a certain speed. Its shadow travels at the speed of the projection (at noon the sunlight is perpendicular to the ground) of the ball's velocity vector on the ground. Therefore, the shadow travels at a speed that is a component of the velocity vector. Which is larger, the magnitude of a vector or its component along some direction?

Last edited:
kuruman said:
At any instant, the cannon ball travels at a certain speed. Its shadow travels at the speed of the projection (at noon the sunlight is perpendicular to the ground) of the ball's velocity vector on the ground. Therefore, the shadow travels at a speed that is a component of the velocity vector.

Which is larger, the magnitude of a vector or its component along some direction?
This is true twice a year on the equator and once a year for points between the two tropics. It never happens for locations at higher latitudes than 23.5 degrees (N and S).
But the Sun has the maximum height at noon and its rays are the closest to being perpendicular to the ground at this time.
But this maximum height can be quite low during the winter.

I am not saying that your analysis is wrong. Even with rays inclined relative to the vertical, it may apply.

Liam Teevens said:
You might have to re-think "have the same path." One travels through the air, the other along the ground.

Also, the question is somewhat ambiguous, as it leaves out certain conditions, such as latitude, direction, firing angle, muzzle velocity, etc that could have a bearing on the answer.
Liam Teevens said:

Problem:

A cannon ball is shot at noon (12pm), what is faster? The cannon ball or its shadow?
You might also want to look at the word "faster", beyond the first impression that that comes to mind. Does that word actualy imply speed or velocity? Perhaps instead it implies time. Or something else? A formulated answer certainly will depend upon the meaning of the word.

As you do say you are just starting out with physics, this type of question seems more to pike your deduction and reasoning powers on problem solving, rather than equation manipulation. What asumptions are important and which ones can be cast aside.

If and when you get enough equations of physics and mathematics under you belt, you may be able to determine something more complex such as determining the parabolic path of the cannon ball through the air and the parabolic path of the shadow traced along the curved ground, and if whether or not the two can ever have the same curvature ( such things as this may interest you, maybe not ) and under what condtions. Your question here is a good one, as you can see by all the interest and responses it has gathered.

Anyways, my answer for the question would be: keeping things simple, of course.
They are both just as fast since they depart and arrive from origin and destination at the same time.

1. What factors determine the speed of a cannon ball and its shadow?

The speed of a cannon ball and its shadow is determined by several factors, including the initial velocity of the cannon ball, the force of gravity, and the air resistance. The speed of the shadow is also affected by the angle of the sun and the distance between the cannon and the surface the shadow is being cast on.

2. Is the cannon ball or its shadow faster?

The cannon ball and its shadow have different speeds, so it is not accurate to say that one is faster than the other. The cannon ball will have a faster speed in the direction it is launched, while the shadow's speed will depend on its position and the angle of the sun.

3. Can the cannon ball and its shadow have the same speed?

No, the cannon ball and its shadow cannot have the same speed. The cannon ball is affected by air resistance and gravity, while the shadow is not. Additionally, the cannon ball will have a constant decrease in speed due to air resistance, while the shadow's speed will remain constant as long as the angle of the sun does not change.

4. Does the speed of the cannon ball and its shadow change over time?

Yes, the speed of the cannon ball and its shadow will change over time. The cannon ball will experience a decrease in speed due to air resistance, while the shadow's speed will remain constant as long as the angle of the sun does not change.

5. How does the speed of the cannon ball and its shadow affect their trajectory?

The speed of the cannon ball and its shadow will affect their trajectories in different ways. The cannon ball will have a curved trajectory due to the force of gravity, while the shadow will have a straight trajectory as it is not affected by gravity. Additionally, the speed of the cannon ball and its shadow will determine how far they travel before hitting the ground or reaching their destination.