What is M Theory? Understanding the Basics of this Fascinating Concept

In summary, the conversation was about the M theory, which was briefly mentioned in Stephen W. Hawking's book "The Universe in a Nutshell." It is also discussed in Brian Greene's book "The Elegant Universe." The speaker suggested looking into these sources for more information.
Kakorot
i overheard someone talking about something called the M theory. They mentioned the string theory too (which i know about), but I have no idea what M theory is. Can someone please inform me?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Kakorot said:
i overheard someone talking about something called the M theory. They mentioned the string theory too (which i know about), but I have no idea what M theory is. Can someone please inform me?
Decent summary here:
http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/gr/public/qg_ss.html

Hmmmm

Stephen W. Hawking's book "The universe in a Nutshell" talks briefly on the subject, I believe in the... 3rd chapter? Or if you are listening to the CD it is on the second, to the best of my knowledge...

Ravine said:
Stephen W. Hawking's book "The universe in a Nutshell" talks briefly on the subject, I believe in the... 3rd chapter? Or if you are listening to the CD it is on the second, to the best of my knowledge...

I would quickly suggest Brian Greene, or even Michio Kaku, above Hawking. Try The Elegant Universe (by Greene).

Related to What is M Theory? Understanding the Basics of this Fascinating Concept

1. What is M Theory?

M Theory is a theoretical framework in physics that aims to combine all the fundamental forces of nature into one overarching theory. It is also known as the "Theory of Everything" and is still being developed and studied by scientists.

2. How is M Theory different from other theories?

M Theory is unique in that it attempts to unify all the fundamental forces of nature, including gravity, electromagnetism, and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Other theories, such as general relativity and quantum mechanics, only focus on specific aspects of these forces.

3. What is the main concept behind M Theory?

The main idea behind M Theory is that the universe is made up of tiny, vibrating strings, rather than point-like particles. These strings vibrate at different frequencies, giving rise to the various particles and forces in the universe. This concept is also known as string theory.

4. What is the role of extra dimensions in M Theory?

M Theory proposes the existence of extra dimensions beyond the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time that we are familiar with. These extra dimensions are necessary for the math to work out in string theory and could potentially explain the discrepancies between general relativity and quantum mechanics.

5. Is M Theory proven?

No, M Theory is still a theoretical framework and has not been proven or disproven. However, it has gained support from mathematical calculations and continues to be studied and refined by scientists in the hopes of one day providing a complete understanding of the universe.