What is salt that has a green colour?

In summary: The chromium ion in the compound acts as a electron acceptor, and the green color is due to the absorption of light at certain wavelengths.
Nicol76
Please post this type of questions in the homework section, filling the template and showing your attempts at answering them.
TL;DR Summary
green salt
What are salt that have green colour?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
For starters, ##\text{Fe}\text{SO}_4 \cdot 7\text{H}_2\text{O}## and ##\text{Cu}\text{CO}_3##.

What ions have green colour?
What is a salt?

Ion colours
Edit: but having looked carefully at this, I think they got ferrous and ferric mixed up!
Maybe try ion colours2

Last edited:
Are we sure we are talking about salt in the chemistry sense and not the cooking sense? There are green salts one can get from, I think, Hawaii.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes jim mcnamara, hmmm27 and etotheipi
Thank you everyone for your help. Yes I meant salt in chemistry. Sorry Merlin, English is not my first language and I probably used the wrong word. My question is about ionic compounds.

Your screen name is apt, @Nicol76. The first one I thought of was nickel chloride.

• Haha
  • Love
Likes symbolipoint, jim mcnamara, etotheipi and 1 other person
@Nicol76 No, you were correct.
I asked "what is a salt" to check you know it as an ionic compound and so you are looking for the ions with colour green.

Coloured ions are transition metals, because of their electronic structure.
##Fe^{2+}## and ##Ni^{2+} ## are predominantly green.

Other ions which are not generally green, are green in some compounds ##Cu^{2+} ## usually blue, is green in basic copper carbonate , and ##Cr^{2+} ## changes from its usual violet to green in chromium hydroxide.

That is because the energy levels are modified by surrounding ions such as hydroxide. This is shown nicely with copper sulphate, where the ##Cu^{2+}## ions are a pleasant pale blue in the hexahydrate crystals or in aqueous solution. There the ##Cu^{2+}## are surrounded by water molecules. If excess ammonia is added to the solution, the ##Cu^{2+}## become surrounded by ##NH_3## molecules and turn a glorious deep blue.

Likes symbolipoint
just saw your reply. Thank you so much, this is really useful.

Most chromium salts are green.

1. What causes salt to have a green color?

Salt can have a green color due to the presence of impurities such as iron, copper, or chromium. These impurities can react with light and give the salt a green hue.

2. Is green-colored salt safe to consume?

In most cases, yes, green-colored salt is safe to consume. However, it is important to check the source and quality of the salt to ensure it is not contaminated with harmful substances.

3. Can salt turn green naturally?

Yes, salt can turn green naturally if it is exposed to certain environmental factors such as sunlight, moisture, or air. This can cause the formation of algae or other microorganisms that give the salt a green color.

4. Can I use green salt for cooking?

It is generally safe to use green salt for cooking, but it may alter the taste or appearance of your dish. It is best to use green salt for decorative purposes or in dishes where the color won't affect the overall flavor.

5. How can I prevent my salt from turning green?

To prevent salt from turning green, store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Avoid exposing the salt to moisture or other environmental factors that can promote the growth of algae or other microorganisms.