What is stochastic heating of very small grains?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of "stochastic heating of very small grains" in the interstellar medium. The speaker is confused about the vibrational temperature associated with these grains and whether temperature has a meaning in this highly fluctuating quantity. They mention the possibility of analyzing the situation if the fluctuations leave individual particles in thermal equilibrium, but more context is needed.
sonutabitha
I recently came across a paper where there was a term ''stochastic heating of very small grains". I went through some papers on this area but I am still confused about it. What is the vibrational temperature associated with very small grains? Does temperature has got a meaning if it's a highly fluctuating quantity?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'd imagine the time-average of a fluctuating temperature might be meaningful if you were considering processes that were slow compared to the fluctuations. Conversely if the fluctuations left individual particles in (time-dependent) thermal equilibrium I'd expect one could analyse the resulting situation.

A bit more context would help. Grains of what, where? Being heated by what? Your comment about vibrational temperature suggests the grains are close to molecular dimensions. Is that the case?

I am talking about the very small grains in the interstellar medium.

1. What is stochastic heating of very small grains?

Stochastic heating of very small grains is a phenomenon in astrophysics where small grains (typically less than 1 micron in size) are heated by the absorption of individual photons from the surrounding radiation field. This results in the grains reaching temperatures much higher than their surroundings.

2. How does stochastic heating occur?

Stochastic heating occurs when small grains are exposed to high-energy photons, such as those found in the interstellar medium or in the vicinity of stars. When these photons are absorbed, they transfer their energy to the grain, causing it to heat up.

3. What are the effects of stochastic heating on small grains?

The effects of stochastic heating on small grains can vary depending on the specific environment and conditions. In some cases, the grains may reach temperatures high enough to sublimate, or turn from solid to gas. Stochastic heating can also lead to changes in the optical properties of the grains, affecting how they interact with light.

4. How does stochastic heating impact astronomy and astrophysics?

Stochastic heating is an important process in astrophysics as it plays a role in the heating and cooling of interstellar dust and gas. It also affects the emission spectra of dust, which is used to study the composition and physical properties of interstellar material. Understanding stochastic heating is crucial for interpreting astronomical observations and modeling physical processes in the universe.

5. Are there any ongoing research efforts focused on stochastic heating?

Yes, there are ongoing research efforts focused on stochastic heating, particularly in the field of infrared astronomy. Scientists are studying the effects of stochastic heating on the thermal emission of small grains and its impact on the overall energy balance of interstellar dust. Other research is focused on developing theoretical models and simulations to better understand the underlying physics of stochastic heating.