What is the acoustic power of each pulse?

In summary, a bat uses echolocation to search for insects, emitting high frequency sound pulses that are 2.0 ms in duration and have an intensity level of 100 dB at 1.0 m from its mouth. The acoustic power of each pulse is 0.13 W and the power intercepted by an insect located 5.0 m away and with an effective cross-sectional area of 10 mm2 is 3.8 x 10^-8 W.
rpullo

Homework Statement

In search for insects, a bat uses an echolocating system based on pulses of high frequency sound. These pulses are 2.0 ms in duration, have a frequency of 50 kHz, and have an intensity level of 100 dB at 1.0 m from the bat's mouth. Assume that the bat produces spherical acoustic waves.

a.What is the acoustic power of each pulse?
b. A bug is located 5.0 m from the bat. The effective cross-sectionl area of the insect is 10 mm2. How much of the acoustic power emitted by the bat is intercepted by the insect?

Homework Equations

I = P/A
E = Pt

The Attempt at a Solution

a. Given intensity level, I can find intensity...

10log(I/I0) = 100 [I0 = 10-12
I = 0.01

P = 0.01 x 4 x [pi] x 12 = 0.13 W

Textbook has 0.12, so I was wondering if I did it correctly.

b. I found the intensity of the pulse at 5 m to be 3.8 x 10-4 so...

P = AI = (0.001)(3.8 x 10-4) = 3.8 x 10-6

Textbook has it to power -10, so I'm wondering if someone can find a mistake..
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

Your calculations for part a seem correct. The slight difference in the answer could be due to rounding errors or different values for the constants used.

For part b, you have correctly found the intensity at 5 m. However, the power intercepted by the insect would be given by:

P = AI = (0.00001)(3.8 x 10^-4) = 3.8 x 10^-8 W

This is because the effective cross-sectional area of the insect is given in square millimeters, so it needs to be converted to square meters (hence the extra 0.00001 factor). The power intercepted is much smaller than the power of the pulse emitted by the bat, which makes sense since the insect is much smaller than the bat and is located further away.

I hope this helps clarify your doubts. Let me know if you have any further questions. Keep up the good work in your studies as a scientist!

1. What is acoustic power?

Acoustic power is the amount of sound energy per unit of time emitted by a sound source. It is measured in watts (W) or decibels (dB).

2. How is acoustic power different from sound pressure?

While acoustic power measures the total amount of sound energy emitted by a source, sound pressure measures the strength or intensity of the sound waves at a specific point in space. Sound pressure is measured in pascals (Pa).

3. What factors affect the acoustic power of a sound pulse?

The acoustic power of a sound pulse is affected by the amplitude (volume) and frequency (pitch) of the sound wave, as well as the size and shape of the sound source. Additionally, environmental factors such as air temperature and humidity can also impact acoustic power.

4. How is the acoustic power of a sound pulse measured?

The acoustic power of a sound pulse can be measured using specialized equipment such as a sound level meter or a microphone. These devices measure the sound pressure at a specific point and can calculate the acoustic power based on the distance from the sound source.

5. Can acoustic power be harmful to humans?

Yes, high levels of acoustic power can be harmful to humans and can cause hearing damage or other health issues. It is important to follow noise regulations and use protective equipment in environments where high levels of acoustic power are present.