What is the Angular Momentum of a Planet Rotating and Orbiting a Star?

In summary, for a planet that rotates one revolution in one day and orbits a star in one year, with mass = 5.6 * 10^24 kg, radius = 6.7 * 10^6 m, and a distance of 1.7 * 10^11 km from the star, the angular momentum for the rotating planet about its rotation axis is 7.34 * 10^33 kg * m^2/s. To calculate the angular momentum for the planet in its orbit around its star, treat the planet as a point mass and use the equation L = m*r²*ω = 2π*m*r²/t.
Bones

Homework Statement

Consider a planet that rotates one revolution in one day and orbits a star in one year. The planet has mass = 5.6 1024 kg, radius = 6.7 106 m, and is 1.7 1011 km from the star.
(a) Determine the angular momentum for the rotating planet about its rotation axis (assume a uniform sphere).
kg · m2/s

(b) Determine the angular momentum for the planet in its orbit around its star (treat the planet as a particle orbiting the star).
kg · m2/s

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I started this problem, but I am not sure how to do part b.
a)
I=2/5MR^2
I=2/5(5.6*10^24)(6.7*10^6)^2
I=1.01*10^38
w=1rev/day*2pi/1rev*1day/24hrs*1hr/60min*1min/60sec=7.27*10^-5
L=Iw
L=(1.01*10^38)(7.27*10^-5)
L=7.34*10^33

Physics news on Phys.org
The moment of inertia that you calculated in a) is for the rotation about the axis of the planet.

In b) they are asking you to calculate the angular momentum about it's star. They also suggest to treat it as a point mass.

I = m*r²

L = m*r²*ω = 2π*m*r²/t

Thanks!

Related to What is the Angular Momentum of a Planet Rotating and Orbiting a Star?

1. What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measurement of the rotational motion of an object. It takes into account the mass, velocity, and distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is angular momentum related to a planet?

Angular momentum is an important concept in planetary motion because it helps to explain how planets maintain their orbit around the sun. The angular momentum of a planet remains constant as long as there are no external forces acting upon it.

3. How is the angular momentum of a planet calculated?

The angular momentum of a planet can be calculated using the formula L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the planet, v is its velocity, and r is the distance from the planet to the axis of rotation.

4. How does the angular momentum of a planet change over time?

In the absence of external forces, the angular momentum of a planet remains constant. However, factors such as interactions with other planets or objects in the solar system, or changes in the planet's mass or distance from the sun, can cause its angular momentum to change over time.

5. Why is the conservation of angular momentum important in planetary motion?

The conservation of angular momentum is important in planetary motion because it helps to explain why planets maintain their orbit around the sun without falling into it. It also plays a role in determining the shape and orientation of a planet's orbit.