What is the area under the given equation using definite integration?

In summary, when finding the area under the given equation using definite integration, we can choose to integrate with respect to x or y, as they both correspond to the same area. The x intercept and y intercept can also be used to determine the limits of integration.
Kahing

Homework Statement

Find the area under the given equation using definite integration.
y = 4ln(3-x) from 0 to 2

The Attempt at a Solution

Integration from 0 to 2

4 (integration from 0 to 2) (3-x)
Let u = 3-x
du = -dx
-du = dx

-4(integration from 0 to 2) du

Idk where to go from there :/ sorry i do not know how to put the integral sign. I am currently new to calculus and i did not get it when my teacher explained it :/

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, so the integrand is now -4*ln(u)du. Not just -4du. What's the integral of ln(u)du?

You can find [itex]\int\!\ln(x)dx[/itex] using integration by parts.

Dick said:
Ok, so the integrand is now -4*ln(u)du. Not just -4du. What's the integral of ln(u)du?

thats what i don't understand. is 4ln(u), ln(u)^4 or 4*ln(u)

my attempt to integrate this problem would be u^n+1/n+1
5ln(3-x)/5?

Kahing said:
thats what i don't understand. is 4ln(u), ln(u)^4 or 4*ln(u)

my attempt to integrate this problem would be u^n+1/n+1
5ln(3-x)/5?

That would be wrong. To integrate ln(x)dx pick du=dx and v=ln(x). So u=x and dv=(1/x)dx. Now do the parts thing. Integral of vdu=?

Dick said:
That would be wrong. To integrate ln(x)dx pick du=dx and v=ln(x). So u=x and dv=(1/x)dx. Now do the parts thing. Integral of vdu=?

:( I really do not understand this. I don't understand integrating natural log itself. Is there a reference link you can show me ? I have googled it, but all there is is ln(1/x) dx never any ln(x)dx

Do you know how to do integration by parts?

SammyS said:
Do you know how to do integration by parts?

actually i do not, that is 2 chapers ahead in my book :/

Kahing said:
actually i do not, that is 2 chapers ahead in my book :/

Then try and guess the answer. You want to find a function whose derivative is log(x). Try taking the derivative of x*log(x). That's almost right. Can you add something to fix it up.

Try differentiating [tex]y=x\ln x-x[/tex] and see what you get

Look at the graph of y = 4ln(3-x).

The x intercept is x=2, and the y intercept is y = 4ln(3) .

Solving y = 4ln(3-x) for x gives x = 3 - ey/4 .

From the graph of y = 4ln(3-x), it is apparent that the following integrals correspond to the same area.

[tex]\int_0^2{4\ln(3-x)}dx=\int_0^{\,4\ln(3)}{\left(3-e^{y/4}\right)}dy[/tex]

Related to What is the area under the given equation using definite integration?

1. What is the natural logarithm?

The natural logarithm, denoted as ln(x), is the inverse function of the exponential function. It is a mathematical function that represents the time needed to reach a certain level of growth, given a constant growth rate.

2. What is the process of integrating natural logarithms?

The process of integrating natural logarithms involves using the power rule or the substitution method. The power rule states that the integral of ln(x) is equal to xln(x) - x + C, where C is the constant of integration. The substitution method involves substituting u for the argument of the natural logarithm and using the formula for integrating u.

3. What are the applications of integrating natural logarithms?

Integrating natural logarithms is used in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. It is used to model exponential growth and decay, calculate the time needed for a reaction to reach equilibrium, and determine the half-life of a substance.

4. Can natural logarithms be integrated using other methods?

Yes, natural logarithms can also be integrated using techniques such as integration by parts and partial fractions. However, the power rule and substitution method are the most common and efficient methods for integrating natural logarithms.

5. Are there any special cases when integrating natural logarithms?

Yes, when integrating ln(x), there is a special case when the argument of the natural logarithm is a constant. In this case, the integral simplifies to the product of the constant and the natural logarithm of that constant, plus a constant of integration.