What is the Best Saxophone Song?

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
In summary, some of the best songs are "Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty, "Guns N Roses, Sweet Child O' Mine." by Axl Rose, "Bruce Springsteen - "tunnel of love"" by Led Zeppelin, "Honor thy Father" by Dream Theater, and "Octavarium" by Dream Theater.
Physics news on Phys.org
Ahhhh (Puts fingers in ears)... what is this evo...!

I love Dethklok. The show is so funny. Dark water is cool, I wish I could find it in mp3 form.

Cyrus said:
Ahhhh (Puts fingers in ears)... what is this evo...!
It's not disco! :rofl:

Evo said:
Tommy Emmanuel is phenomenal, the things he can do with a guitar.

This is thanks to my imaginary friend Red Rum.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=1tN2LuMQjMo&feature=related

:uhh: Nothing like someone geeking out with a guitar. How bizarre. (And why can't the people posting YouTube videos edit out all that boring talk before the "music" starts?) Sounds a lot like the noise I used to make when I got bored practicing my guitar lessons, except I didn't make all those weird faces like I was actually rocking out while playing noise. How geeky. :rolleyes:

An all time favorite - Jane Says by Jane's Adiction

Last edited by a moderator:
Moonbear said:
:uhh: Nothing like someone geeking out with a guitar. How bizarre. (And why can't the people posting YouTube videos edit out all that boring talk before the "music" starts?) Sounds a lot like the noise I used to make when I got bored practicing my guitar lessons, except I didn't make all those weird faces like I was actually rocking out while playing noise. How geeky. :rolleyes:

I thought it was really neat! Odd but neat, unique I suppose. I listened to a few of his other songs and I loved the Guitar Boogie, if I could play that I would be thrilled.

Moonbear said:

I agree. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should.

Stephen Merrit's voice makes me melt. :!) The Death of Ferdinand DeSausure

Evo said:
An all time favorite - Jane Says by Jane's Adiction

TURN

IT

UP

!

lisab said:
TURN

IT

UP

!
lisab ROCKS! :approve:

Sigh I swear I should just go donate my guitar to some underpriveldged kid lol. Watching these videos makes me realize how terrible I am. Oh well one day I will get out of school and dedicate some real time to me not sucking at guitar.

Evo I liked that last one to.

I have to confess that this is one of my most favorite songs in the Universe. Talk about great sax. This songe moves me.

scorpa said:
Sigh I swear I should just go donate my guitar to some underpriveldged kid lol.

No. You shouldn't. You know why? Because I have a total of 8 guitars and bass guitars. If you give yours up, I will feel REALLY bad about having so many and sucking so badly.

Watching these videos makes me realize how terrible I am. Oh well one day I will get out of school and dedicate some real time to me not sucking at guitar.

Evo said:
Tommy Emmanuel is phenomenal, the things he can do with a guitar.

This is thanks to my imaginary friend Red Rum.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=1tN2LuMQjMo&feature=related

Reminds me of this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t2hgiVE3KkM&search=manring

The sound is out of sync at first, but it's still great.

And this song...Dead can Dance - Rakim

Evo said:
I have to confess that this is one of my most favorite songs in the Universe. Talk about great sax. This songe moves me.

Its Turbo-1 !:bugeye:

Johnny Cash - Hurt

Johnny Cash - Rusty Cage

Hendrix - Voodoo Chile

Jeff Healy - While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Tons more songs I wanted to post but I can't find good Youtube versions.

scorpa said:
Johnny Cash - Hurt

I never heard this song before, but its fantastic!

Evo said:

I love that song. I love the sax, I played for a few years but had to give it up when I moved to an apartment in the city. I think the neighbours would complain :P

Cyrus I love spanish guitar to, it is amazing.

scorpa said:
I thought it was really neat! Odd but neat, unique I suppose. I listened to a few of his other songs and I loved the Guitar Boogie, if I could play that I would be thrilled.
scorpa, if you could play this, I would mount a pilgrimage to your shrine.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahGOzE0l9U&feature=related

I have played guitar for over 40 years, and have played blues and rock professionally and I can assure you that Tommy is a monster! I play electric guitar with heavy strings (comparable to my acoustic strings), and it takes some hand-strength to play heavy bends accurately and smoothly.

Last edited:
Cyrus said:
I never heard this song before, but its fantastic!

That is actually a cover he did of a Nine Inch Nails song. I absolutely love it, I can listen to it over and over. Johnny Cash was an amazing artist.

turbo-1 said:
scorpa, if you could play this, I would mount a pilgrimage to your shrine.

http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=5ahGOzE0l9U&feature=related

I have played guitar for over 40 years, and have played blues and rock professionally and I can assure you that Tommy is a monster! I play electric guitar with heavy strings (comparable to my acoustic strings), and it takes some hand-strength to play heavy bends accurately and smoothly.

I know that is an unbelievable song. I would absolutely kill to be able to do that. I freaking love that style of guitar. LOVE. I had never heard of this guy before but I can assure you I am hooked! I'm really looking forward to having time to really sit down and play this summer. I have a electric now with a beautiful amp but I have been toying with the idea of adding an acoustic to the collection.

scorpa said:
That is actually a cover he did of a Nine Inch Nails song. I absolutely love it, I can listen to it over and over. Johnny Cash was an amazing artist.

I'm amazed that he could make a cover song and put so much feeling into it. It sounds infinitely more "authentic" than the NIN original. The original isn't bad, but Cash's version just blows it away.

I remember reading somewhere that after Johnny covered that song Trent Reznor said it was no longer a NIN song but a Johnny Cash song because Johnny did it better than he ever could.

Sultans of Swing - Dire Straits

Haven't heard a ton of their songs but I have always liked that one.

Cyrus said:
Its Turbo-1 !:bugeye:
Rafferty is one of my favorite singer/guitarists. His lead-off solo album is a killer. He's got a pretty off-hand vocal style that works for me. It's a rare person that can establish a recognizable singing style and a recognizable guitar-playing style at once and Rafferty pulled it off well. For those that are unfamiliar, Dan Fogelberg did a pretty damned good Job of it, too.

Last edited:
scorpa said:
I remember reading somewhere that after Johnny covered that song Trent Reznor said it was no longer a NIN song but a Johnny Cash song because Johnny did it better than he ever could.

Yeah, I remember reading something like that. He did it so well that he "took" the song from NIN and it became his.

That was smoken hot!