What is the biggest problem to be solved in Quantum Physics in 2023?

In summary: The Planck scale is accessible for experiments today, but we would need to develop extremely advanced technology to do so. The Planck scale is accessible for experiments today, but we would need to develop extremely advanced technology to do so.
ThiagoMNobrega
TL;DR Summary
As the field progresses it seems to be an interesting time to hear from the different (or unified) opinions of the community on this question.
Hey everyone,

A quick question that I hope all can participate: In your educated opinion, what is the biggest question or the biggest problem to be solved in quantum mechanics for 2023?

Warm regards,
Thiago Munhoz da Nóbrega

Physics news on Phys.org
I would reverse the question. What was the biggest quantum problem that was solved in 2022?

Likes Vanadium 50 and DrChinese
ThiagoMNobrega said:
TL;DR Summary: As the field progresses it seems to be an interesting time to hear from the different (or unified) opinions of the community on this question.

Hey everyone,

A quick question that I hope all can participate: In your educated opinion, what is the biggest question or the biggest problem to be solved in quantum mechanics for 2023?

Warm regards,
Thiago Munhoz da Nóbrega
The biggest outstanding question, IMO, is to develop a theory of quantum gravity.

Likes physika, ohwilleke, DrChinese and 2 others
PeroK said:
The biggest outstanding question, IMO, is to develop a theory of quantum gravity.
It will not be solved in 2023. But I am finishing a paper in which I study quantization of toy models (*) with emergent diffeomorphism invariance, with a motivation to shed some light on conceptual problems with quantum gravity. In this paper I solve toy versions of the problem of time in quantum gravity, of the cosmological constant problem, and of the black hole firewall problem. Stay tuned! :smile:

(*) By toy models I mean something similar to the toy model for Casimir effect in https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291

• Love
  • Informative
Likes DeBangis21, timmdeeg, vanhees71 and 1 other person
Demystifier said:
It will not be solved in 2023. But I am finishing a paper in which I study quantization of toy models (*) with emergent diffeomorphism invariance, with a motivation to shed some light on conceptual problems with quantum gravity. In this paper I solve toy versions of the problem of time in quantum gravity, of the cosmological constant problem, and of the black hole firewall problem. Stay tuned! :smile:

(*) By toy models I mean something similar to the toy model for Casimir effect in https://arxiv.org/abs/1702.03291
I disagree with you on what you did in the paper, but i will tell you more once you've written it. 🙂

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, gentzen, OCR and 1 other person
martinbn said:
I disagree with you on what you did in the paper, but i will tell you more once you've written it. 🙂
Happy New Year to you too! I think your argument misses the point, but I will ignore it once you've written it. :smile:

• Haha
Likes pinball1970, hutchphd, OCR and 3 others
If you want unsolved physics problems to work on, there's 42 of them, on page 49 here.

• Love
Likes dextercioby, topsquark, DrChinese and 2 others
mitchell porter said:
If you want unsolved physics problems to work on, there's 42 of them,
Another Insights article written by @fresh_42 ? :wink:

• Haha
Likes topsquark and vanhees71
PeroK said:
Not 2023 ->
Maybe in 2100 😂😂😂

• Haha
Likes ohwilleke and Demystifier
Demystifier said:

Finished! :smile:
https://arxiv.org/abs/2301.04448

• Love
Likes DeBangis21, physika, PeroK and 4 others
Are we sure that there exists a theory of quantum gravity?

Supposed someone in the far future claims to have a theory of quantum gravity. It looks good and it is self consistent mathematically. How would we prove its correctness?

Likes dextercioby
It doesn't exist yet. If somebody claims to have found one, it must be possible to make testable predictions, i.e., one would do experiments checking whether the predictions are correct or not.

But which testable predictions do we expect? Probably not predictions describing the state of matter in an astrophysical black hole. Quantized spacetime?

Likes vanhees71
That's a very good question. I don't know the answer. I think it's the greatest obstacle in finding an idea for a viable quantum description of gravitation that there's no guidance from observation, i.e., the lack of observable quantum effects concerning quantization of gravity.

Likes timmdeeg
timmdeeg said:
But which testable predictions do we expect?
Predictions about probabilities for different spacetime geometries in suitable experimental configurations. Or predictions about quantum interference effects between different spacetime geometries. Or predictions about quantization of lengths and times on short enough scales (currently speculated to be the Planck scale). Or predictions about discrete spectra for something like the masses of small black holes.

Of course we currently don't observe anything like these things. But we also don't expect them to be observable on scales that we can test. We are many, many orders of magnitude away from being able to run experiments at or near scales like the Planck scale where we expect such effects to be observable.

Likes vanhees71
Do you say these predictions are testable in principle (perhaps with much advanced technology) or with today's technology? How could the Planck scale ever be accessible for experiments?

Likes vanhees71
timmdeeg said:
Do you say these predictions are testable in principle (perhaps with much advanced technology)
Yes.

timmdeeg said:
or with today's technology?
Obviously not.

timmdeeg said:
How could the Planck scale ever be accessible for experiments?
With advanced enough technology, anything the laws of physics permit is possible.

Likes DennisN, vanhees71 and timmdeeg
timmdeeg said:
But which testable predictions do we expect?
Perhaps predictions concerning large deviations from our classical understanding of macroscopic black hole horizons. Experimentally it could be observed in the form of black hole echoes, see e.g.

• Informative
Likes timmdeeg
PeterDonis said:
With advanced enough technology, anything the laws of physics permit is possible.
That seems a bit difficult though regarding the size of a particle accelerator needed to come close to the Planck scale.

Demystifier said:
Perhaps predictions concerning large deviations from our classical understanding of macroscopic black hole horizons. Experimentally it could be observed in the form of black hole echoes, see e.g.

Thanks, very interesting and possibly within reach of advanced gravitational waves detection technology.

Likes Demystifier
martinbn said:
Demystifier said:
I read it, and I was right. I do disagree with you on pretty much everything in it.

• Haha
Likes gentzen
timmdeeg said:
Are we sure that there exists a theory of quantum gravity?
Maybe not

timmdeeg said:
How would we prove its correctness something ?

Ultra high energy cosmic rays.

Likes vanhees71
physika said:
Ultra high energy cosmic rays.
Would you expand on that?

Likes vanhees71
I hope that in 2023 an error will be fixed, the essence of which is the fixation of the value of the Planck constant.
While waiting for the appearance of new values https://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Constants/

Demystifier said:
@physika is a master of haiku physics.

A little time please, I am articulating in a few words (not more than 20?) the response 🤭

...apart, don't like too much write and work on smartphones.
Latter on a PC i wil write.

Excuse me, please.

Likes Frabjous
Frabjous said:
What’s the problem with Planck’s constant?
I hope that the experiments will show a proportional change in electrical and magnetic "constants".
After all, they are no longer fixed.
But their multiply remains a constant.
This would be a sentence for some "constants", including Planck's "constant".

I don't understand what you mean. Also after the redefinition of the SI the relation ##c=1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}## still holds exactly, and ##c## is the value fixed already in 1983 within the SI. What's right is that now ##\mu_0## has to be measured. It's no longer ##4 \pi 10^{-7} \text{N}/\text{A}^2## as in the old SI but has to be measured since not the elementary charged is defined by a fixed value within the new SI.

In 2018
vacuum electric permittivity
8.854 187 8128(13) x 10^-12
vacuum magnetic permeability
1.256 637 062 12(19) x 10^-6

Wiki:
Since the redefinition of SI units in 2019 (when the values of e and h were fixed as defined quantities), μ0 is an experimentally determined constant...

In 2022, I calculated
8.854 187 8103(13)x10^-12 (decrease)
1.256 637 062 47(19) x 10^-6 (increase)

Yes ##\mu_0## is experimentally determined, and then also ##\epsilon_0=1/(\mu_0 c^2)## is determined with the defined value of ##c## in the new SI.

In terms of problems that could actually be solved in 2023, I think that the most plausible would be for there to be some sort of breakthrough in how to calculate the path integrals that are used to quantify the predictions of quantum mechanics, perhaps in some way to utilizes quantum computing.

In the area of quantum gravity, it would be a long shot, but it isn't inconceivable that experimental evidence of gravitationally induced decoherence could be discovered.

Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
I don't understand what you mean. Also after the redefinition of the SI the relation ##c=1/\sqrt{\epsilon_0 \mu_0}## still holds exactly, and ##c## is the value fixed already in 1983 within the SI. What's right is that now ##\mu_0## has to be measured. It's no longer ##4 \pi 10^{-7} \text{N}/\text{A}^2## as in the old SI but has to be measured since not the elementary charged is defined by a fixed value within the new SI.
The best thing about SI units is that you don't have to use them unless you teach elementary physics or want to sell a book. Rather than try to remember muzero, try to remember ##\mu_0/4\pi##, which is easier. You just have to know how many nines there. I think the reason they didn't use the parallel wire force to define the ampere, is that they still don't understand electromagnetism.

• Skeptical
Likes PeroK
Meir Achuz said:
I think the reason they didn't use the parallel wire force to define the ampere, is that they still don't understand electromagnetism.
What are you basing this on?

If something has been ##10^{-7}## for so many years, why change it?
SI shows 'they' don't understand electromagnetism.

• Skeptical
Likes weirdoguy and Motore