What is the boundary surface of a collimator?

In summary: The problem with calculating f(x) in small steps of x is that the error will accumulate with each step.
kubenun
Hi everybody,

I’m trying to calculate the shape of a boundary line f(x) between two mediums that collimates rays from a point light source. This requires the rays to hit the boundary line under a certain angle, so I calculated the slope m(φ) of the boundary line for a ray with polar angle φ (φ is less than a known critical angle φc). Now in order to get from m(φ) to m(x), I need φ(x). But how do I get it?

Specifying the boundary conditions:
i) Since I will calculate the boundary line by integrating m(x), specifying f(x=0) – i.e. the minimum distance between source and boundary line – determines the constant of integration.
ii) From a physical point of view, I can further specify the radius R of the “lens.” This means x ≤ R and phi(x=R) = φc.

So what is φ(x)? Or, in general terms, how can I construct a function f(x) if I know the slope as a function of the polar angle φ (with given f(x=0) and R)?

It sounds easy but I’m stuck nonetheless. Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
A sketch would help to understand how your variables are defined.

r(φ) could be a useful intermediate function. You get it from the refraction condition and an integral, afterwards there are standard ways to convert that to a function f(x) (not always in an analytical way, however).

Interesting idea! I'm assuming r denotes the distance the ray has traveled when hitting the boundary, right? Getting from r(φ) to f(φ) is easy once I've got r(φ), which is somehow smoothly connected to f(x=0), but it is the same story as before: Snell's law tells me the slopes of the tangents only, not the intercepts.

Geometrically speaking, all tangent lines envelope f, but all I know is the slopes, not the intercepts. If I knew those, too, I could just Legendre transform the tangents to get f(x).

By the way, I don't need an analytic solution to this, since there is no analytic expression for m(φ) either. :)

kubenun said:
I'm assuming r denotes the distance the ray has traveled when hitting the boundary, right?
Sure.
kubenun said:
Snell's law tells me the slopes of the tangents only, not the intercepts.
It gives you a differential equation, but this time as r'(φ) = r f(φ) not as something much more complicated. Easy to solve numerically.

If you have to use numerical methods only, where would be the problem with calculating f(x) in small steps of x, calculating f'(x) at every point?

1. What is a collimator?

A collimator is a device that is used to narrow a beam of particles or waves. It is commonly used in scientific research, medical imaging, and other applications to control the direction and shape of a beam.

2. How does a collimator work?

A collimator uses a series of parallel plates or tubes to shape and direct a beam of particles or waves. These plates or tubes are arranged in a specific configuration to create a boundary surface that limits the spread of the beam.

3. What is the purpose of a collimator?

The main purpose of a collimator is to control the direction and shape of a beam. This can be useful in a variety of scientific and medical applications, such as imaging, particle acceleration, and radiation therapy.

4. What is the boundary surface of a collimator?

The boundary surface of a collimator is the surface that limits the spread of the beam. It is created by the configuration of the parallel plates or tubes within the collimator.

5. How is a collimator used in medical imaging?

In medical imaging, a collimator is used to shape the x-ray beam that passes through the patient's body. This helps to produce clear and accurate images by limiting the spread of the x-rays and reducing the amount of scattered radiation.