What is the cause of an increase in volume (audio)

In summary, the loudness of an audible noise is determined by the force at which the frequency is generated, rather than the frequency itself. This is because sound disperses as it leaves a source, so a stronger source will deliver stronger waves to any given point.
Marcus27
This is just a question I posed to myself while learning about waves, I was wondering how the volume of an audible noise is increased or decreased, is it related to the compression of the wave and therefore the force generating it? If somebody could explain this in mathematical terms or provide a link to where I can find out more I would be grateful

Physics news on Phys.org
For any given frequency, the "loudness" of the sound to the human ear will depend on the force with with the frequency is generated. It's not the the compression waves hit the eardrum with a different frequency, it's that they hit it harder. Sound disperses as it leaves a source so a stroner source delivers stronger waves to any given point out away from it.

What is the cause of an increase in volume?

The cause of an increase in volume can be attributed to several factors, including the source of the audio, the equipment used to play the audio, and the environment in which the audio is being played.

Does the type of audio source affect the volume?

Yes, the type of audio source can greatly affect the volume. For example, a live performance may have a louder volume compared to a pre-recorded audio file due to the natural amplification of sound in a live setting.

Can the equipment used to play the audio impact the volume?

Absolutely. The type and quality of equipment used to play the audio, such as speakers or headphones, can greatly impact the volume. Higher quality equipment generally has better amplification and can produce louder volumes.

Can the environment in which the audio is played affect the volume?

Yes, the environment can have a significant impact on the volume of audio. A quiet, enclosed space will allow for higher volume levels, while a noisy or open area may require higher volume levels to be heard clearly.

Are there any other factors that can cause an increase in volume?

Other factors that can contribute to an increase in volume include the settings on the audio equipment, the distance between the listener and the audio source, and any potential interference or obstructions in the audio pathway.