What is the centripetal acceleration of the Earth in its orbit around the Sun?

In summary: I used 148000 km as the radius of the Earth's orbit and it came out to be 30 m/s. I should have used 148000 km/148000000 meters. I've corrected the number and it now comes out to be 5.85 x 10-3 m/s2.
curiousgeorge99

Homework Statement

Calculate the centripetal acceleration, in units of m/s2, of the Earth in its orbit around the Sun. Assume that the Earth's orbit is a circle of radius 148,022 thousand km.

Homework Equations

v= 2 pi r/ T
Ac = V^2/ r

The Attempt at a Solution

I solve for V and get 29.48 m/s . For T, I use 3.15 x 10^7 seconds, and for r I use 1.48022 x 10^9

When I solve for Ac, I get 5.87 X 10-6 m/s2
I square 29.48 m/s and divide by 1.48022 x 10^9

The answer is 5.85 x 10-3 m/s2. I have no idea where I'm going wrong! I'm more concerned about why my answer is 10-6 when it should be 10-3 . Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
curiousgeorge99 said:
I solve for V and get 29.48 m/s .
Do you really think the Earth is traveling 30 m/s? 66 mph? :biggrin: That's not even speeding on a US highway. Might want to check your v again.

Last edited:
That's true, it doesn't sound right does it?

However, if the answer is supposed to be m/s2 in the end, wouldn't my calculation for V still be correct? Taking 148022 KM and converting to meters becomes 148022000 M. When multiplied by 6.28, I then get 9.3 X10^8. The number of seconds in a year is 3.156 x 10^7.

So: 9.3 X10^8 / 3.156 x 10^7 = 29.5 m/s2

:cry:

I just copied the question from the book. Didn't see anything about the moon. Do I need to consider that for this question?

No. I highlighted 148022 km because that number is the source your error. It is wrong. I simply used the Earth-moon distance to illustrate that you have the wrong value.

Thank you so much!

I see my mistake.

Related to What is the centripetal acceleration of the Earth in its orbit around the Sun?

What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences when it moves in a circular path.

How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v^2/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the difference between centripetal acceleration and centrifugal force?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that causes an object to move in a circular path, while centrifugal force is the outward force that an object experiences as a result of its inertia.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal acceleration?

Some examples of centripetal acceleration in everyday life include a car going around a curve, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a roller coaster going around a loop.

Why is centripetal acceleration important in physics?

Centripetal acceleration is important in physics because it helps us understand the motion of objects in circular paths and is a key component in many physical phenomena, such as planetary orbits and motion in amusement park rides.