What is the change in the proton's electric potential energy?

In summary, the proton's electric potential energy decreases by 32,000 joules when it moves from point A to point B in a field of 6.4x10^4 N/C.
RedLego

Homework Statement

A proton moves in a constant electric field E from point A to point B. the magnitude of the electric field is 6.4x10^4 N/C. The direction of electric field is opposite to the motion of the proton.

If the distance from point A to point B is 0.50m, what is the change in the proton's electric potential energy, EPEb-EPEa?

E=6.4x10^4 N/C
Δd= 0.50
ΔV=?

Homework Equations

ΔV=Δd*E
V=W/q
W=qEcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔV=Δd*E=(6.4x10^4)(0.50) = 32000J
Clearly this is wrong, as the answer is supposed to be 5.1x10^-15J.
Apparently you need to multiply it by the proton's charge, 1.602x10^-19C, and you would get the answer. but why? i don't see any formulas that would suggest me to multiply my answer by the fundamental charge.

Physics news on Phys.org
RedLego said:

Homework Statement

A proton moves in a constant electric field E from point A to point B. the magnitude of the electric field is 6.4x10^4 N/C. The direction of electric field is opposite to the motion of the proton.

If the distance from point A to point B is 0.50m, what is the change in the proton's electric potential energy, EPEb-EPEa?

E=6.4x10^4 N/C
Δd= 0.50
ΔV=?

Homework Equations

ΔV=Δd*E
V=W/q
W=qEcosθ

The Attempt at a Solution

ΔV=Δd*E=(6.4x10^4)(0.50) = 32000J
Clearly this is wrong, as the answer is supposed to be 5.1x10^-15J.
Apparently you need to multiply it by the proton's charge, 1.602x10^-19C, and you would get the answer. but why? i don't see any formulas that would suggest me to multiply my answer by the fundamental charge.

One of your equations is V=W/q. That means W=qV. For a proton q is not 1 coulomb. It's charge of a proton. And the units of Δd*E aren't joules. It's joules/coulomb.

:) Arn't you fantastic! Thank you sir!

Related to What is the change in the proton's electric potential energy?

1. What is electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is the amount of energy that a charged particle, such as a proton, possesses due to its position in an electric field. It is measured in units of joules (J).

2. How does the proton's electric potential energy change?

The proton's electric potential energy can change if it moves from one point to another in an electric field. This change in energy is caused by the difference in potential energy between the two points.

3. What factors affect the change in the proton's electric potential energy?

The change in the proton's electric potential energy is affected by the strength of the electric field, the distance between the starting and ending points, and the charge of the proton.

4. Why is the change in the proton's electric potential energy important?

The change in the proton's electric potential energy is important because it can be used to understand and predict the behavior of charged particles in electric fields. It also plays a crucial role in various technological applications, such as in batteries and electric circuits.

5. How is the change in the proton's electric potential energy calculated?

The change in the proton's electric potential energy can be calculated using the formula ΔPE=qΔV, where ΔPE is the change in potential energy, q is the charge of the proton, and ΔV is the change in voltage or electric potential between the starting and ending points.