What is the charge on the capacitor?

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit with a switch that has been closed for a long time. The question asks for the charge on the capacitor and the time at which the charge decreases to 10% of its initial value after the switch is opened. The equations used in solving the problem are E-iR1-iR2=0, emf (delta)Vi=0, and Q=Qe^-t/RC. The suggested approach is to convert the circuit to thevenin form, use the time constant (T=1/RC) to find the voltage across the capacitor, and use the formula x(inf) - [x(inf) -
frederickcan

Homework Statement

https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20071&stc=1&d=1250025514

The switch in the figure has been closed for a very long time.
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=20071&stc=1&d=1250025514

(a) What is the charge on the capacitor?

(b) The switch is opened at t = 0 s. At what time has the charge on the capacitor decreased to 10% of its initial value?

Homework Equations

E-iR1-iR2=0
emf (delta)Vi=0
Q=Qe^-t/RC (possibly)

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I know that the circuit is initially closed, and I don't need current to solve. Also that I probably need to combine resistors because they are in series. Yet, I'm a little confused as how to set up the problem.

Any type of help or insight would be deeply appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

You'll have to at least describe the circuit in words, if you can't post a graphic of it.

If we could see the picture it might help. If you can not load describe the circuit and value of the components. This would help a lot.

frederickcan said:
Does this link work?

The link does not work.

It looks something like this:____WWW______________
I...60 OHM...I...I
I......I...…
_ 100V....W...W
-....40 OHM W...W 10 OHM
I......I...…
I......I...… I_
I......I...… 2 micro F
I......I...…
I________________I_________I

Your picture is still not clear, I couldn't find where is the switch but general suggestions:
1) Convert your circuit to thevenian with capacitor at output (with one voltage source and one thevenian resistor)
2) 1/RC it T(time constant)
3) Use x(inf) - [x(inf) - x(0)] exp (-t/T) formula for finding voltage across capacitor as a function of t.
4) For steady state (when long time), make capacitor open and solve the circuit

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is a passive electronic component that is used to store electrical energy in an electric field.

2. How does a capacitor work?

A capacitor works by having two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. When a voltage is applied, one plate becomes positively charged and the other becomes negatively charged, creating an electric field between them. This electric field stores energy, which can be released when the capacitor is connected to a circuit.

3. What is the unit of charge on a capacitor?

The unit of charge on a capacitor is the coulomb (C). This unit is used to measure the amount of electric charge that a capacitor can store.

4. How is the charge on a capacitor calculated?

The charge on a capacitor can be calculated by multiplying the capacitance (measured in farads) by the voltage across the capacitor. This can be represented by the equation Q=CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage.

5. What factors affect the charge on a capacitor?

The charge on a capacitor can be affected by the capacitance of the capacitor, the voltage applied, and the type of dielectric material used. The distance between the plates and the surface area of the plates can also impact the charge on a capacitor.