What is the chemical name for C9H20O9Cl ?

• Thread starter nur20
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemical
In summary, the conversation discusses the naming of organic compounds and specifically focuses on the bond structure of ##C_9 H_{20} O_9 Cl##. The participants determine that the compound is not possible due to the ratio of oxygen to carbon and the presence of chlorine.
nur20
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to find out it's name.Please help me
I am trying to find out it's name.Please help me

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You can only name organic compounds after proposing a bond scheme (representation) of atoms (usually projected on a plane). So what is the bond structure of ##C_9 H_{20} O_9 Cl##?

C9H20O9Cl
Ratio of one oxygen per carbon and an additional Cl! If it were fully saturated aliphatic… C9H20 would be nonane or an isomer. No cyclics. No double bonds. Add 9 oxygens and they would all need to be alcohols. Geminal diols are very unstable so that would be one alcohol per carbon. That leaves one chlorine which can only occur in this compound if it replaces a hydrogen somewhere… so not H20 but H19.

I don’t think this compound is possible.

• Informative
Likes berkeman

1. What is the chemical formula for C9H20O9Cl?

The chemical formula for C9H20O9Cl is a combination of symbols that represent the elements and their respective number of atoms in a molecule. In this case, C represents carbon, H represents hydrogen, O represents oxygen, and Cl represents chlorine.

2. What is the molecular weight of C9H20O9Cl?

The molecular weight of a compound is the sum of the atomic weights of all the atoms in a molecule. In the case of C9H20O9Cl, the molecular weight can be calculated by adding the atomic weights of 9 carbon atoms, 20 hydrogen atoms, 9 oxygen atoms, and 1 chlorine atom. This gives a molecular weight of 260.69 g/mol.

3. What is the systematic name for C9H20O9Cl?

The systematic name for a compound is a standardized name based on the International Union of Pure and Applied Chemistry (IUPAC) nomenclature system. In the case of C9H20O9Cl, the systematic name would be 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9-octahydroxy-1-chloropropane.

4. What is the common name for C9H20O9Cl?

The common name for a compound is a name that is commonly used in everyday language. In the case of C9H20O9Cl, the common name would be 1-chloro-2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9-octahydroxypropane.

5. What are the properties of C9H20O9Cl?

The properties of a compound depend on its chemical structure and can include physical properties such as melting point, boiling point, and solubility, as well as chemical properties such as reactivity and toxicity. Without additional information, it is difficult to determine the specific properties of C9H20O9Cl. However, based on its formula, we can predict that it is a polar compound with multiple hydroxyl groups and a chlorine atom, which may make it soluble in water and potentially reactive with other compounds.