What is the complex conjugate of this wave function?

Therefore, we can conclude that φ*(x) is equal to φ(x). In summary, in order to find the value of N, you can take the integral of φ(x) squared from -∞ to ∞, as φ*(x) is equal to φ(x). This wave function is real, so its complex conjugate is simply φ(x). Therefore, x-x0 remains the same and φ*(x) is just equal to φ(x).
gabriellelee
Homework Statement
Find the value of N
Relevant Equations
x0 and delta are some constants
Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 5.22.33 PM.png

I was planning to find the value of N by taking the integral of φ*(x)φ(x)dx from -∞ to ∞ = 1. However, this wave function doesn't have a complex number so I'm not sure what φ*(x) is. I was thinking φ*(x) is exactly the same φ(x), but with x+x0 instead of x-x0.

Thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
gabriellelee said:
Homework Statement:: Find the value of N
Homework Equations:: x0 and delta are some constants

View attachment 255845
I was planning to find the value of N by taking the integral of φ*(x)φ(x)dx from -∞ to ∞ = 1. However, this wave function doesn't have a complex number so I'm not sure what φ*(x) is. I was thinking φ*(x) is exactly the same φ(x), but with x+x0 instead of x-x0.

Thank you
Since it is real, its complex conjugate is just psi(x). x-x0 remains x-xo (assuming that they are real, which they surely are meant to be).

Likes gabriellelee

1. What is a complex conjugate?

A complex conjugate is a mathematical operation that involves changing the sign of the imaginary part of a complex number. In other words, it is the reflection of a complex number across the real axis. For example, the complex conjugate of 3 + 4i is 3 - 4i.

2. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a wave, which describes the behavior of a particle or system in terms of its position, momentum, and energy. It is commonly used in quantum mechanics to describe the probability of finding a particle at a specific location or in a specific state.

3. What is the significance of taking the complex conjugate of a wave function?

Taking the complex conjugate of a wave function is important in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle in a specific state. The complex conjugate of a wave function is squared to give the probability density function, which describes the likelihood of finding the particle at a particular point in space.

4. How do you find the complex conjugate of a wave function?

To find the complex conjugate of a wave function, you need to change the sign of the imaginary part of the function. This can be done by replacing every instance of the imaginary unit i with -i. For example, if the wave function is ψ(x) = 3x + 4i, then its complex conjugate would be ψ*(x) = 3x - 4i.

5. What is the physical interpretation of the complex conjugate of a wave function?

The physical interpretation of the complex conjugate of a wave function is that it represents the probability amplitude of finding a particle in a particular state. This probability amplitude is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle in a specific location or state, which is essential in quantum mechanics for making predictions and understanding the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.