What is the current status of Colony Collapse Disorder?

In summary, there has been a lot of speculation about the causes of Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) among honey bees, with cellphone radiation being one of the proposed culprits. However, a more recent study has found that CCD may be caused by a combination of factors, such as a genetic flaw in some bee colonies and exposure to viral infections. This may be exacerbated by monoculture diets and frequent movement of hives for pollination purposes. It is believed that once vulnerable colonies die off, CCD may go away on its own. There is also a possibility that inbreeding and a small gene pool may contribute to this issue. Despite media attention, there is still a lack of consistent answers about the exact cause of CCD.
sir_manning
Hi

I read an article on this about a year ago or so which outlined the issues and the possible causes. Aside from cellphone radiation, it seemed like none of the other proposed causes had been conclusively ruled out. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of an update on this? Currently, what are the main culprits? What is the outlook? When can we expect some answers? Thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
sir_manning said:
Hi

I read an article on this about a year ago or so which outlined the issues and the possible causes. Aside from cellphone radiation, it seemed like none of the other proposed causes had been conclusively ruled out. I'm just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of an update on this? Currently, what are the main culprits? What is the outlook? When can we expect some answers? Thanks.

This story: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090824151256.htm seems to be the realistic answer. Apparently some hives have reached the point of fragility in terms of ribosomal RNA (rRNA). Colonies with this genetic marker are much more susceptible to CCD, whatever is causing it.

So what is going on is a one-two punch. Some hives have histories which resulted in the rRNA fragment production. This may have initially been caused by an infection, but what was left was a genetic flaw that spread from the queen throughout the hive. A few years later, perhaps after the initial infection has been wiped out--boom! Almost any viral infection could push vunerable colonies over the edge.

If so CCD will go away on its own once all the vulnerable colonies die off.

I read an article in New Internationalist a while back. The colonies collapse from multiple infections without any single infection being the root cause. It was likened to AIDS. They apparently had weakened immune systems which left them open to attack.

The cause was put down to the bees diet. Many commercial honey bee owners rent their hives to agriculturalists to pollinate their crops. E.g. the almond tree relies on bees for pollination. Unfortunately these can very often be monocultures. The bee therefore can only feed on one particular food source, meaning it doesn't have a wide variety of nutrients to sustain itself. In America they are also being moved great distances between crops and may have trouble adjusting to differences in temperature in such a short amount of time.

You can watch a documentary on this on the internet on Channel 4.com http://www.channel4.com/programmes/the-last-of-the-honeybees/4od
I'm not sure how long they keep it up for.

Last edited by a moderator:
eachus said:
This story: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/08/090824151256.htm seems to be the realistic answer. Apparently some hives have reached the point of fragility in terms of ribosomal RNA (rRNA). Colonies with this genetic marker are much more susceptible to CCD, whatever is causing it.
So what is going on is a one-two punch. Some hives have histories which resulted in the rRNA fragment production. This may have initially been caused by an infection, but what was left was a genetic flaw that spread from the queen throughout the hive. A few years later, perhaps after the initial infection has been wiped out--boom! Almost any viral infection could push vunerable colonies over the edge.

If so CCD will go away on its own once all the vulnerable colonies die off.

I wonder if its from too much inbreeding/ small gene pool

Thanks for the replies - this kind of disappeared from the majority of the media. Hopefully we'll get some consistent answers soon.

What is Colony Collapse Disorder?

Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD) is a phenomenon where a large portion of the worker bees in a honey bee colony disappear, leaving behind the queen and some immature bees. This leads to the eventual collapse of the entire colony.

What are the main causes of Colony Collapse Disorder?

The exact causes of CCD are still unknown, but it is believed to be a combination of factors such as parasites, pathogens, pesticides, and poor nutrition. This can weaken the bees and make them more susceptible to diseases and other stressors.

How does Colony Collapse Disorder affect the environment and agriculture?

Honey bees are crucial pollinators for many crops and plants, so CCD can have a significant impact on agriculture and the environment. The loss of bee colonies can lead to a decrease in crop yields and affect the biodiversity of plant species.

What is being done to address Colony Collapse Disorder?

Scientists and beekeepers are working together to find solutions for CCD. This includes researching the causes and implementing sustainable beekeeping practices, such as reducing pesticide use and providing a diverse diet for bees.

Is Colony Collapse Disorder a global issue?

Yes, CCD has been reported in many countries around the world. The decline of honey bees can have a global impact on food production and the ecosystem. Therefore, it is important to address CCD on a global scale.