What is the difference between AC/DC and DC in PLC outputs?

In summary, when ordering a beacon to install on a PLC with 24 V DC outputs, the options to choose from include 12V AC/DC Full Voltage, 24V AC/DC Full Voltage, 120V AC Full Voltage, and 240V AC Full Voltage. Based on the discussion, it seems that the best option to choose would be the 24 V AC/DC, as it can work with both 24 V DC or AC input voltage. AC/DC refers to the light having an input rectifier, allowing it to work with both types of input voltage.
salman213
I am a student trying to learn about PLCs.

I was buying a light (beacon) to install on my PLC and had a question about the output voltage. On the PLC I saw that the outputs are 24 V DC. On the beacon I am ordering, the options are:

12V AC/DC Full Voltage
24V AC/DC Full Voltage
120V AC Full Voltage
240V AC Full Voltage

I am assuming I should order the 24 V AC/DC, but I was wondering what does AC/DC mean. Is AC/DC different then just DC. Is that even the correct one since the output card provides 24 V DC?

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm guessing that it means the light has an input rectifier, so it can be used either with a DC or AC input voltage.

Yea, I just asked someone here and they said it meant that it can work with both 24 V DC or AC, since the RMS of the 24 AC will be enough to run it.

1. What is the difference between AC and DC in a PLC?

AC and DC refer to the type of electrical current that is used to power a PLC. AC stands for alternating current, which means the flow of electricity periodically reverses direction. DC, on the other hand, stands for direct current, which means the flow of electricity remains constant in one direction. In a PLC, AC is typically used for powering the input and output modules, while DC is used for powering the internal processing and control circuits.

2. Which type of current is better for a PLC, AC or DC?

The type of current used in a PLC depends on the specific application and requirements. Generally, AC is better for long-distance transmission and high voltage applications, while DC is better for low voltage and high precision applications. In a PLC, a combination of both AC and DC is often used to meet different needs.

3. Can a PLC work with both AC and DC inputs?

Yes, a PLC can work with both AC and DC inputs. PLCs are designed to be versatile and adaptable, so they can handle a wide range of input signals. However, it is important to ensure that the PLC is properly configured and programmed to handle the specific type of input signal it is receiving.

4. How do I know if I need AC or DC inputs for my PLC?

The type of input needed for a PLC depends on the type of sensors or devices that will be connected to it. Some sensors, such as proximity sensors, require DC inputs, while others, such as photoelectric sensors, may require AC inputs. It is important to consult the specifications of the sensors and devices being used to determine the appropriate input type for the PLC.

5. Is one type of current more reliable than the other for a PLC?

Both AC and DC can be reliable sources of power for a PLC, as long as they are properly configured and maintained. However, AC may be more prone to interference and power fluctuations, which can affect the performance of the PLC. DC, on the other hand, is less susceptible to interference and provides a more stable power supply for the PLC.