What is the difference between valence and conduction bands in metals?

• Thread starter UMath1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conduction
In summary, the electrons are confined to specific molecular orbitals in between to atoms when in the valence band. If energy is provided then the electrons can occupy higher energy level molecular orbitals in the conduction band. Usually these are the anti-bonding orbitals.
UMath1
I am not sure I quite understand the distinction between the valence and conduction bands in metals. The simple model we learned in Intro to Chemistry explained that electrons in the metals were delocalized and were shared between all the metal atoms in the metallic crystal.

I am not sure if I correctly understand the band model, so correct me if I say something incorrect. According to the band model, the electrons are confined to specific molecular orbitals in between to atoms when in the valence band. If energy is provided then the electrons can occupy higher energy level molecular orbitals in the conduction band. Usually these are the anti-bonding orbitals.

So my questions are the following:
• Aren't the higher energy level molecular orbitals still between just two atoms? How then can the electrons be shared between all the metal atoms?
• Conductivity is supposed to decrease with increasing temperature. Doesn't this contradict with the idea that adding energy will allow the electrons to escape to higher energy levels?
• What exactly does it mean when we say the electrons are delocalized in the conduction bands? Are they still confined to the atoms of the solid? They cannot just escape into a vacuum correct?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
1) I am not really sure. I will look it up once again.
2) The reason for the decrease in conductivity is not because the electrons do not escape into higher energy orbitals. It is because the kernels themselves start oscillating, increasing the resistance to the motion of the electrons.
3) You are correct here.

My teacher has advised me not to use band theory except to explain the properties of semi-conductors. This was because there are other aspects which one might neglect while making assumptions using the band theory ( like your 2nd question). Just telling you.

UMath1 said:
So my questions are the following:
• Aren't the higher energy level molecular orbitals still between just two atoms? How then can the electrons be shared between all the metal atoms?
Even in simple molecules, the molecular orbitals (to be precise the so called "canonical" MO's) are not between just two atoms but extend over the whole molecule. These are the orbitals we also talk about in band theory. It is sometimes possible to introduce an alternative set of orbitals which are localized on the bonds between two atoms. In band theory, these orbitals are called Wannier functions. Now in band theory the condition for the possibility to introduce Wannier orbitals is precisely that the band is either completely full or empty. So if the band is not full, like in metals, the electrons cannot be localized in bonds but are more free to move between the atoms.

Likes CrazyNinja
Thanks DrDu...! You are the best...!

What is the difference between valence and conduction bands?

The valence band is the highest energy band in a material that is completely filled with electrons. The conduction band is the next highest energy band that contains partially filled or empty electron states.

What determines whether a material is a conductor, insulator, or semiconductor?

The energy gap between the valence and conduction bands is what determines the conductivity of a material. A wider energy gap means the material is an insulator, a smaller gap means it is a semiconductor, and no gap means it is a conductor.

How does temperature affect the valence and conduction bands?

Increasing temperature causes electrons in the valence band to gain more energy and potentially move to the conduction band. This increases the conductivity of the material.

Can the energy gap between the valence and conduction bands be changed?

Yes, the energy gap can be altered by applying an external electric field or by doping the material with impurities. This is how semiconductor devices are able to switch between conducting and non-conducting states.

What is the significance of the valence and conduction bands in electronic devices?

The separation of these bands allows for the controlled flow of electrons, which is essential for the functioning of electronic devices. The ability to manipulate the energy gap also allows for the creation of different types of devices with varying conductivity.