What is the Distance from C to C' for a Circular Pizza with a Piece Removed?

In summary, A circular pizza of radius R has a circular piece of radius R/2 removed from one side. The center of gravity has moved from C to C' along the x-axis, with a distance of R/6 between them. This can be shown by comparing the radii and areas of the two disks and using the equation xCG = (m1 x1 - m2 x2) / (m1 - m2) to calculate the distance.
jessedevin

Homework Statement

A circular pizza of radius R has a circular piece of radius R/2 removed from one side. Clearly the center of gravity has moved from C to C' along the x-axis. Show that the distance from C to C' is R/6. (Assume that the thickness and density of the pizza are uniform throughout.)

p12-06.gif

Homework Equations

7d9b8d2cecd1fc0591802ce49b6bed20.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off with taking the smaller circle as the negative mass.
xCG = (m1 x1 - m2 x2) / (m1 - m2)
But I do not know what to do after this. Please help asap. Thanks.

Attachments

• p12-06.gif
    p12-06.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 526
Physics news on Phys.org
So far, so good. How does m_1 compare with m_2? Measure x_1 and x_2 from the center; what are they?

I know you are suppose to relate it to desnity or thickness but i don't know how.
But I have no clue on how m1 relates to m2 from the CG or x1 relates to x2 from the CG. Could you explain or give a couple hints.

For m1 versus m2, first consider how the radii of the two disks compare. Then use that to compare their areas.

For x1 & x2, consider the big disk to have its center at the origin. Where's the center of the cut out disk?

okay, so for m1, the radius is R, where in m2, the radius is R/2, which is stated in the problem.
So for m1, the area is [tex]\pi[/tex]* R2
For m2, the are is [tex]\pi[/tex]* (R/2)2=[tex]\pi[/tex]* R2/4

Sorry the pi's look so weird, that's just how they turned out.

The center of the cut out disk is R/2. So what next?

jessedevin said:
okay, so for m1, the radius is R, where in m2, the radius is R/2, which is stated in the problem.
So for m1, the area is [tex]\pi[/tex]* R2
For m2, the are is [tex]\pi[/tex]* (R/2)2=[tex]\pi[/tex]* R2/4

Sorry the pi's look so weird, that's just how they turned out.

The center of the cut out disk is R/2. So what next?

Once you have the area, you can just recognize that as long as the pie is uniform density, the masses are propotional to the area... give it an area density (say sigma). Them m1=sigma*a1...

So then you should be able to put m1, m2, x1 (=0) and x2 = R/2 (via the chosen system)... all in your equation in the original post. :biggrin:

physics girl phd said:
Once you have the area, you can just recognize that as long as the pie is uniform density, the masses are propotional to the area... give it an area density (say sigma). Them m1=sigma*a1...

So then you should be able to put m1, m2, x1 (=0) and x2 = R/2 (via the chosen system)... all in your equation in the original post. :biggrin:

So let me see if I got this straight
m1= [tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R2
m2=[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R2/4
x1=0
x2=-R/2

Sooo...
XCG = (m1 x1 - m2 x2) / (m1 - m2)
XCG = -([tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R2/4*-R/2)/([tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R2-[tex]\sigma[/tex][tex]\pi[/tex]R2/4)
R/6=(R3/8)/(R2-R2/4)
R/6=(R/8)/(3/4)
R/6=R/6

Thanks So much!

Excellent!

I hope it's okay that I am reviving this old thread but I was looking for a solution to this question. (: Can I ask why x1 is taken to be zero?

Icetray said:
Can I ask why x1 is taken to be zero?
x1 is the center of mass of the large disk. Since that's the point we're measuring from, x1 = 0.

Related to What is the Distance from C to C' for a Circular Pizza with a Piece Removed?

What is the Pizza Center of Gravity?

The Pizza Center of Gravity is a scientific term used to describe the point on a pizza where all the weight is evenly distributed. It is also known as the "balance point" or "center point" of the pizza.

Why is the Pizza Center of Gravity important?

The Pizza Center of Gravity is important because it affects the way the pizza is handled and cut, as well as how it is packaged and transported. By understanding the center of gravity, we can ensure that the pizza stays balanced and intact during these processes.

How is the Pizza Center of Gravity calculated?

The Pizza Center of Gravity can be calculated by finding the geometric center of the pizza, which is the point where the two diagonals intersect. This point is the center of mass and the center of gravity of the pizza.

Does the toppings on a pizza affect the Center of Gravity?

Yes, the toppings on a pizza can affect the Center of Gravity. Toppings that are heavier will shift the center of gravity towards them, while lighter toppings will have less of an impact. This is why evenly distributing toppings on a pizza is important for maintaining balance.

How does the Pizza Center of Gravity impact pizza delivery?

The Pizza Center of Gravity can impact pizza delivery by affecting the stability and balance of the pizza during transport. If the center of gravity is not properly positioned, the pizza may shift or slide around in the box, leading to an unevenly cooked or damaged pizza.