What is the distance the block moves up the incline before coming to rest?

In summary, the conversation is about a problem involving a block with a mass of 13.0 kg sliding down an inclined plane with a slope angle of 32.8 degrees and then being projected back up with an initial speed of 3.85 m/s. The person is seeking help with calculating the distance the block will move before coming to rest. The helper suggests calculating the kinetic energy and using the energy conservation law to determine the amount of energy consumed by friction. They also provide a website for additional resources.
koomba
Hey guys thanks for the help on the last problem, I just had one more that I was trying to get finished studying for this big exam coming up:

A block with mass m = 13.0 kg slides down an inclined plane of slope angle 32.8 ° with a constant velocity. It is then projected up the same plane with an initial speed 3.85 m/s. How far up the incline will the block move before coming to rest?

Now I know its kind of like a normal inclined plane problem, but the whole pushing it back up part has got me confused. I actually can't even get my first values. :confused: So I probably need help with those too. Man I am stupid :frown: Hope someone can help me! :bugeye: Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, O.K.

You have the mass, you have the initial speed. So calculate the kinetic energy.
After that, when you try to use the energy conservation law, you see that some amount of energy is being taken up by the friction on the plane and the rest by going against gravity.
Now, the question is, how much is being consumed by friction. Well, from the first part, you can calculate the co-effiecient ( say, k) of friction as follows.

For first case,
force of gravity = force of friction (because constant velocity )
so, mg*sin(32.8deg.)=kmg*cos(32.8deg.)
so, k = tan(32.8deg)

now, Second case (let the required distance be x )

Initial K.E. = work by friction + work by gravity

work by friction is kmg*cos(32.8deg.)*x
work by gravity is mg*sin(32.8deg)*x

You know the K.E
Simply solve and find x - the answer!

vibhav
www.geocities.com/physics_all/index.html

Thanks! :biggrin:

Related to What is the distance the block moves up the incline before coming to rest?

What is friction and how does it affect objects on inclined planes?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. On inclined planes, friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, making it more difficult to move up the plane.

How is friction calculated on inclined planes?

The frictional force on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula Ff = µN, where Ff is the frictional force, µ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force.

What factors affect the amount of friction on inclined planes?

The amount of friction on inclined planes is affected by the type of surface, the weight of the object, and the angle of the incline. Rougher surfaces, heavier objects, and steeper inclines will have higher amounts of friction.

How can friction be reduced on inclined planes?

Friction on inclined planes can be reduced by using materials with lower coefficients of friction, such as lubricants or smoother surfaces. The angle of the incline can also be decreased to minimize the effects of friction.

Can friction be beneficial on inclined planes?

In some cases, friction can be beneficial on inclined planes. For example, it can prevent objects from sliding down the plane too quickly, providing stability and control. Friction can also be used to slow down or stop objects on inclined planes, preventing accidents or damage.