What is the Earth's composition (by compounds not elements)?

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of determining the abundance of compounds on Earth due to the complex composition of the mantle and crust. It is suggested that silicates are the most common compounds, followed by dihydrogen monoxide. However, it is noted that the atmosphere should also be considered in this analysis, as it may contain significant amounts of certain compounds, such as argon.
James Nelson
I have tried looking for papers on the composition of earth, but none of them seem to list the abundance of compounds. They just list the elements. So, what are the abundances of the most common compounds, by mass and/or percent of Earth?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
As the mantle has 2/3 of the mass: Googling "earth mantle chemical composition" gives this article which summarizes several estimates of the chemical composition of the mantle on page 3. The outer core is liquid and doesn't have well-defined molecules, and the inner core should be more like a massive alloy where the concept doesn't make sense either. The crust is complicated, but I guess the main components can be found in some publications as well.

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and James Nelson
As mfb wrote - the main problem is that in many places it is hard to speak about "compounds". Many minerals are what we call a solid solution - mixture of several compounds forming a continuous solid (one that doesn't have to have a uniform composition!). Most rocks in the crust and mantle are composed mainly of silicates and if anything, I would assume silicates are the most common "compounds".

Likes James Nelson
Since the planet is c.a. 3/4 ocean, I think it is safe to say dihyrogen monoxide is one of the more plentiful compounds.

Kevin McHugh said:
Since the planet is c.a. 3/4 ocean

Definitely not.

Kevin McHugh said:
I think it is safe to say dihyrogen monoxide is one of the more plentiful compounds.

Definitely not.

Seconding Borek's "definitely not". The oceans are a very thin skin on the surface of the Earth.

To add numbers: As 0.45 of the mantle is SiO2 and the mantle is 2/3 of the mass of Earth, 30% of the total mass is SiO2 in the mantle (there is also SiO2 in the crust). The whole crust has 0.5% of the mass of Earth, and the mass of the oceans is just 0.025% of the total mass of Earth.

SiO2 beats H2O by a factor of 1000.

Forgot "in the oceans" in my comment.

SiO2 in the mantle beats H2O in the oceans by a factor of 1000.

Likes James Nelson
Shouldn't the Earth's atmosphere be considered as well? I'm not saying that the percentage of compounds within the atmosphere would surpass that of the mantle and whatnot--I'm just asking whether the atmosphere should be considered as part of "Earth".

That's what I would do. Not that it will change things by much (perhaps for the noble gases?).

Borek said:
Definitely not.
Definitely not.

My bad, I was thinking of the surface, not the whole planet.

mfb said:
Looks like most of Earth's Argon atoms are gone in the atmosphere. A small contribution is in the crust (still about as much as tin and uranium, for example).
That's what I thought.

Edit: I hope that pun was intended.

What is the Earth's composition?

The Earth's composition refers to the materials that make up the planet, including both compounds and elements.

What are the most abundant compounds on Earth?

The most abundant compounds on Earth are silicates, which make up about 90% of the Earth's crust. Other common compounds include carbonates, oxides, and sulfides.

Why is it important to know the Earth's composition?

Understanding the Earth's composition is important for many reasons. It helps us understand the planet's geological processes, the distribution of natural resources, and the conditions necessary to sustain life.

How do scientists determine the Earth's composition?

Scientists use a variety of methods to determine the Earth's composition, including analyzing rocks and minerals, studying seismic waves, and examining the chemical makeup of the atmosphere and oceans.

How has our understanding of the Earth's composition changed over time?

Our understanding of the Earth's composition has evolved significantly over time. In the past, it was believed that the Earth was made up of only four elements: earth, air, fire, and water. Today, we know that the Earth is made up of a complex combination of elements and compounds, and our understanding continues to grow as we make new discoveries and advancements in technology.