What is the educative system like at German universities? Should I study there?

In summary: Physics is a popular subject, so there will be tough competition. However, Germany is known for its quality education and top universities. It is definitely worth considering if you are dissatisfied with your education system and are looking for a more affordable option for studying.In summary, the speaker is a 21-year-old from Mexico who recently dropped out of engineering due to dissatisfaction with the mayor and education system in their country. They are considering studying Physics in Germany because it is free and the cost of living is more affordable. However, they have doubts about the quality of education at top universities in Germany and whether it is worth leaving their home country and family. They are seeking advice, specifically from individuals with a multicultural background in Germany and Latin America. The
StrangeQuark93
I am a 21-year-old from Mexico that recently dropped out of engineering. I was dissatisfied by the mayor and the education system here in Mexico. I am looking forward to studying Physics in Germany because it is free and life is not so expensive. But I have my doubts. Is education at top universities there really good? Is it worth all the trouble of leaving my home country and family?

Thanks for the help. Any advice is welcome. Insight and comparison from multicultural background people in Germany and Latin America are more than appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess your restriction "... multicultural background people in Germany and Latin America ..." doesn't address a lot of people. I would rather ask, whether your recent drop out doesn't signal something deeper and more basic, something a change of schools wouldn't solve.

Where did you get your doubts from? In the end it is in your own responsibility what you learn and what not. That has nothing to do with an education system. You won't be spoon fed in any country.

Hi, I doubt it will be free for you as you will be considered an international student.

1. What is the structure of the educative system at German universities?

The German educative system is divided into three levels: Bachelor's, Master's, and Doctorate. Bachelor's programs typically last 3-4 years and focus on a specific subject area. Master's programs are 1-2 years and provide more specialized and advanced knowledge in a particular field. Doctorate programs are research-focused and can take 3-5 years to complete.

2. How are German universities funded?

German universities are primarily funded by the government, with a small portion of funding coming from tuition fees. This means that tuition fees for students, both domestic and international, are relatively low compared to other countries.

3. What is the language of instruction at German universities?

The majority of courses at German universities are taught in German. However, there are also many programs taught in English, especially at the graduate level. It is important to check the language requirements for your specific program before applying.

4. Are there any specific requirements for international students to study at German universities?

Yes, international students are required to have a recognized high school diploma and must meet certain language proficiency requirements. They may also need to obtain a student visa and have health insurance coverage. It is best to check with the specific university for their requirements.

5. What is the overall quality of education at German universities?

German universities are globally recognized for their high-quality education and research opportunities. They have a strong emphasis on practical learning and offer a wide range of programs in various fields. Additionally, the country has a strong economy and many opportunities for international students to gain work experience after graduation.