What is the equation for the kinetic energy of a pendulum at any point?

In summary, the equation for the kinetic energy of a pendulum at any point can be found by differentiating the θ function with respect to time to get dθ/dt, which is equal to -θmax*w*sin(w*t). This can then be plugged into the equation KE = m*L^2*(dθ/dt)^2 to find the kinetic energy at any point. However, if the question is asking for the exact equation, the formula provided is only an approximation for small angle displacements.
velo city

Homework Statement

I want to find the equation of the kinetic energy of a pendulum at any point. I know the initial angle it is released from but I am having trouble finding the velocity at any point to be able to find the kinetic energy at any point.

Homework Equations

θ = θmaxcos(w*t) where w = √g/L

I = mL2

KErotational=(1/2) *I([itex]\frac{dθ}{dt}[/itex])2

The Attempt at a Solution

I differentiated the θ function with respect to time to get dθ/dt

[itex]\frac{dθ}{dt}[/itex]=-θmax*w*sin(w*t)

I have plugged that into find the kinetic energy but that's apparently not the right answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
L is the length of the pendulum by the way.

After plugging In I have found that the kinetic energy at any point is:

KE = m*L2max2*w2*sin2(w*t)

may i know how u conclude it to be the wrong answer ?

There is nothing wrong with your formula. why do you say it's wrong?

velo city said:
I want to find the equation of the kinetic energy of a pendulum at any point. I know the initial angle it is released from but I am having trouble finding the velocity at any point to be able to find the kinetic energy at any point.
It depends whether you want the exact equation or the SHM approximation for small angle displacements (which is what you posted).
For the question as stated, you could provide the exact answer. Maybe that's what's wanted here.

Related to What is the equation for the kinetic energy of a pendulum at any point?

1. What is kinetic energy of a pendulum?

Kinetic energy of a pendulum refers to the energy that a pendulum possesses when it is in motion. It is the energy that is associated with the movement of the pendulum.

2. How is kinetic energy of a pendulum calculated?

The kinetic energy of a pendulum can be calculated using the equation KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where m is the mass of the pendulum and v is its velocity.

3. What factors affect the kinetic energy of a pendulum?

The kinetic energy of a pendulum is affected by its mass, velocity, and height. A heavier pendulum with a higher velocity and a greater height will have a higher kinetic energy.

4. How does the length of the pendulum affect its kinetic energy?

The length of the pendulum does not directly affect its kinetic energy. However, a longer pendulum will have a longer period of oscillation, which will affect its velocity and therefore its kinetic energy.

5. Can the kinetic energy of a pendulum be converted into other forms of energy?

Yes, the kinetic energy of a pendulum can be converted into other forms of energy, such as potential energy, sound energy, and heat energy. This conversion occurs as the pendulum swings back and forth, transferring its energy to its surroundings.