What is the Explanation for d=1/3 in the Thermodynamic Relationship?

In summary: You would need to find kS(N,V,U) and then see if it equals kS(N,KV,KU).If it doesn't, then there is a problem with the equation.
mrjohns

Homework Statement

Consider relationship for a thermodynamic system:

S=A[UVN]^d , where A is a constant and d a real number.

I need to explain why d=1/3 is the only allowed value consistent with the postulates of thermodynamics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time determining why this is the case from the postulates.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should start by writing down the postulates you think could be relevant.

mrjohns said:

Homework Statement

Consider relationship for a thermodynamic system:

S=A[UVN]^d , where A is a constant and d a real number.

I need to explain why d=1/3 is the only allowed value consistent with the postulates of thermodynamics.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time determining why this is the case from the postulates.

Please check your PMs. You must write out the relevant equations and show your attempt at solving this problem.

This is a problem involving units. The units on both sides of the equation must match.

I don't have an attempt because I'm completely stumped.

The units on the left hand side are J/K, and on the right they are J^(1/3) m - which don't match.

I can't see anything in the postulates that helps either:

P1 - There exist equilibrium states characterised completely by U, V, N.
P2 - There exists a function of the macroscopic variables, the entropy, which is maximised when a constraint is removed
P3 - Entropy is additive over subsystems, and is a continuous and differentiable and increasing function of the total internal energy U

Considering you don't know the units of A, it's pointless to match units between sides.

Can you give an example of what the third postulate means?

While you can't match units directly because of the A term you can still make progress by requiring that the entropy be extensive.

mrjohns said:
P3 - Entropy is additive over subsystems

This is important.

U, V, N, and S are all extensive properties. So, if you double U, V, and N, what has to happen to S?

I know that for a constant:

S(kN,KV,KU)=kS(N,V,U)

But I'm not sure how that restricts the power to a third.

Substitute kU, kV, and kN, and kS into your thermodynamic relationship, and see what you get.

1. What are the three main thermodynamic postulates?

The three main thermodynamic postulates are the Zeroth law, the First law, and the Second law.

2. What is the Zeroth law of thermodynamics?

The Zeroth law of thermodynamics states that if two systems are in thermal equilibrium with a third system, then they are also in thermal equilibrium with each other.

3. What is the First law of thermodynamics?

The First law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

4. What is the Second law of thermodynamics?

The Second law of thermodynamics states that in any spontaneous process, the total entropy of the universe always increases.

5. How do the thermodynamic postulates relate to real-world applications?

The thermodynamic postulates provide a fundamental understanding of how energy behaves in different systems, making them essential for various fields such as engineering, chemistry, and physics. They are used to analyze and predict the behavior of energy in various processes, such as power generation and refrigeration, and are crucial in the development of sustainable and efficient technologies.