What is the Factored Form of the Derivative Using Product Rule?

In summary, the derivative of g(x)=(2x+1)^2(x-7)^3 using the product rule is 5(x-7)^2(2x-5)(2x+1). To reach this factored form, look for common factors and combine terms in the brackets. This will result in the final answer.
cataschok

Homework Statement

use product rule to find the derivative of g(x)=(2x+1)^2(x-7)^3

Homework Equations

i've applied chain rule and product rule to get...

The Attempt at a Solution

4(2x+1)(x-7)^3+3(2x+1)^2(x-7)^2

i need to factor out to get the following..
5(x-7)^2(2x-5)(2x+1)
That's the final answer from the book. But the steps to get there... I'm lost. Can anyone help me out on getting it to the factored form?

Physics news on Phys.org
cataschok said:

Homework Statement

use product rule to find the derivative of g(x)=(2x+1)^2(x-7)^3

Homework Equations

i've applied chain rule and product rule to get...

The Attempt at a Solution

4(2x+1)(x-7)^3+3(2x+1)^2(x-7)^2

i need to factor out to get the following..
5(x-7)^2(2x-5)(2x+1)
That's the final answer from the book. But the steps to get there... I'm lost. Can anyone help me out on getting it to the factored form?
Look for factors that are common to both terms.
4(2x+1)(x-7)3+3(2x+1)2(x-7)^2
= (2x+1)(x - 7)2[4(x - 7) + 3(2x + 1)]

Now combine the terms in the brackets and pull out the common factor there, and you'll have what you need.

thank you kind sir, you have saved me many hours of frustration!

What is the factored form of a derivative?

The factored form of a derivative is a polynomial expression that represents the derivative of a given function. It is written in the form of (x-a)^n, where a is the root of the function and n is the degree of the root.

Why is the factored form of a derivative important?

The factored form of a derivative allows us to easily identify the critical points and inflection points of a function. It also helps us to graph the function and determine its behavior at specific points.

How do you find the factored form of a derivative?

To find the factored form of a derivative, you need to take the derivative of the given function and then factor out any common factors. Next, determine the roots of the function and write the derivative in the form of (x-a)^n.

Can the factored form of a derivative be used to find the original function?

No, the factored form of a derivative only gives us information about the slope of a function at a specific point. It cannot be used to find the original function as it does not provide information about the constant term or the initial conditions.

What is the difference between the factored form and the expanded form of a derivative?

The factored form of a derivative is written in the form of (x-a)^n, while the expanded form is written as a polynomial expression. The factored form is useful for identifying critical and inflection points, while the expanded form is better for evaluating the derivative at a specific point.