What Is the Fake Gravity on a Circular Space Hotel Orbiting Earth?

In summary: This equation would work to find the new centripetal acceleration at a point 77m from the outer rim. Additionally, as you move towards the central hub, your perception of gravity will change as the force acting on you decreases. This is due to the decrease in centripetal acceleration as you move closer to the central hub. In summary, a circular space hotel in orbit around the Earth with a radius of 220m rotates at a speed that produces a centripetal acceleration of 9.81m/s^2. This results in a tangential speed of 46.456m/s and an angular velocity of 0.211rad/s. At a point 77m from the outer rim, the centripetal acceleration would
anthonyslvtr

Homework Statement

A circular space hotel in orbit around the Earth has a radius of 220m. in order to produce "fake gravity" along the outer rim, it is desired to rotate at a speed that will produce a centripetal acceleration of 9.81 m/s^2.
A) find the tangential speed of appoint on the rim when the station is producing the required centripetal acceleration.
B) Find the station's angular velocity under those conditions, in radians per second.
C) If you're "below deck" at a point 77m from the outer rim, how much "gravity" will you experience?
D) If you start moving from the rim toward the central hub of the space station, what will it feel like? How will your perception change as you move?

Homework Equations

vt = √(ac*r)
ῳ = v/r

The Attempt at a Solution

A) I interpreted the following: ac = 9.81m/s^2 and r= 220m. With these I plugged into the first equation to find the tangential velocity which came out to be vt=46.456m/s.

B) To find the angular velocity I plugged in the vt and r in the second relevant equation and found ῳ=0.211rad/s.

C) Assuming I did the first two parts correctly (let me know if I did not please), this is what's giving me a problem. If 77 m "below deck" that would give you a new radius of 143m. I believe this would change your ac or completely eliminate it. Would the following equation work: ac = rῳ2?
I'm open to discuss this back and forth rather than just asking for help or an answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
anthonyslvtr said:
Would the following equation work: ac = rῳ2?
Yes.

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels around a central point or axis, with a constant distance from that point.

What are some examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion include the moon orbiting around the Earth, a car driving around a roundabout, and a spinning top.

What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is a force that acts towards the center of the circular path and keeps the object moving in a circular motion. This force can be gravity, tension, or friction, depending on the specific scenario.

How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves movement along a curved path, while linear motion involves movement along a straight path. Additionally, in circular motion, the object's velocity is constantly changing due to the changing direction of motion, while in linear motion, the object's velocity remains constant.

What are some real-life applications of circular motion?

Circular motion has many practical applications, such as in amusement park rides, centrifuges in laboratories, and the motion of planets in the solar system. It is also used in engineering for designing gears, pulleys, and other rotating components.