What is the final velocity of a block on a ramp with given parameters?

In summary, the block starts from rest at a height of 8m on a fixed inclined plane with a mass of 4.5kg and a coefficient of friction of 0.19. The angle of incline is 29 degrees and the distance from the block to the end of the ramp is also 8m. Using the equation a = (sin(theta)-ucos(theta)g, the acceleration is calculated to be 3.122m/s^2. To find the final velocity of the block, the kinematics equation sqrt(2ax) is used, but it is important to use the correct distance, which in this case is the length of the incline rather than the height.
galuda

Homework Statement

A block starts from rest at a heigh of 8m on a fixed inclined plane. The acceleration of gravity is 9.8m/s^2. What is the speed of the block at the bottom of the ramp? Answer in units of m/s.

Block mass = 4.5kg
coefficient of friction = 0.19
Angle of incline = 29 degrees
Distance from block to end of ramp = 8m

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

using a = (sin(theta)-ucos(theta)g I got 3.122 for a. However I'm not sure how to get a final velocity for the block from just the acceleration and distance.

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a kinematics equation that will directly give you the final velocity v2.

You know v1, a and d... you need v2... which equation will let you get it?

that would be sqrt of 2ax since vi is 0, but that answer comes out to 7.068 which is wrong so i must have my acceleration wrong

galuda said:
that would be sqrt of 2ax since vi is 0, but that answer comes out to 7.068 which is wrong so i must have my acceleration wrong

your acceleration looks right to me.

Did you use the right distance?

They give the height as 8m. But what is the length of the incline?

oh man I'm such an idiot. That would be the problem.

Related to What is the final velocity of a block on a ramp with given parameters?

1. What is the relationship between the height of a ramp and the speed of an object?

The higher the ramp, the faster the object will travel down it. This is because the higher the ramp, the greater the potential energy the object has, which is then converted into kinetic energy as it moves down the ramp.

2. Does the material of the ramp affect the speed of the object?

Yes, the material of the ramp can affect the speed of the object. A smoother surface will result in less friction, allowing the object to move faster down the ramp. A rougher surface will create more friction, slowing down the object's speed.

3. How does the angle of the ramp affect the speed of the object?

The steeper the angle of the ramp, the faster the object will travel down it. This is because a steeper angle increases the slope of the ramp, allowing the object to accelerate more quickly due to the force of gravity.

4. Is there a maximum speed an object can reach on a ramp?

Technically, there is no limit to the speed an object can reach on a ramp. However, as the object's speed increases, so does the force of air resistance, which will eventually balance out the force of gravity and limit the object's speed.

5. Can the weight of the object affect its speed on a ramp?

Yes, the weight of the object can affect its speed on a ramp. Heavier objects will have more gravitational potential energy, resulting in a faster speed as they move down the ramp. However, the weight of the object also affects the force of friction, which can slow down the object's speed. So, the effect of weight on speed depends on the balance between these two forces.