What is the force on the trailer wall

In summary, the force of Unshelled Peanuts will be downward and sideways. The right composite panel must be used and supported in the right places to avoid damage.
Pratap Lingam
Hello All,

I am a semi trailer manufacturer who just started building specialty trailers for various industries. Recently I have been asked to develop a trailer to carry peanuts from the farms and deliver them to ware house. To design the trailer light enough, i have decided to go with Composite panel, but manufacturer wants to know the force of the Unshelled peanuts, so they can suggest the right material for us. I have never done this, so I need help from bright minds like you. Here are the details.

Trailer storage area for peanuts is: 44' L x 102" W x 9' 6" H
Unshelled Peanut weight per cubic feet is: 17.6 lb (approximate)

Unshelled Peanuts are equally distributed inside the trailer. So the force will be downward and sideways. I need to know the force on the sideways, so the right composite panel is used and supported in right places.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much.

Pratap

Engineering news on Phys.org
http://www.inti.gob.ar/cirsoc/pdf/silos/SolidsNotes10HopperDesign.pdf- Section 10.10

Last edited:
That's pretty sophisticated ! It will be quite a job to establish the proper values for all the variables in the Janssen equation 10-9. (This may help ?)
However, from figure 10-7 you can see that the assumption that the material behaves as a liquid ("hydrostatic") at least gives an upper limit for the forces on the walls (fig 4-6 http://udel.edu/~inamdar/EGTE215/Hydrostatics.pdf ).

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes Nidum
BvU said:
However, from figure 10-7 you can see that the assumption that the material behaves as a liquid ("hydrostatic") at least gives an upper limit for the forces on the walls (fig 4-6 http://udel.edu/~inamdar/EGTE215/Hydrostatics.pdf ).

Yes - and for a trailer wall less than 10 ft high it is probably accurate enough in practice .

Note that many dry granular materials are very abrasive and you will sometimes see trailers with throw away polythene liners as protection .

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the definition of force?

Force is a physical quantity that can change the motion or shape of an object. It is measured in Newtons (N) and can be represented by vectors, which have both magnitude and direction.

2. How is force calculated?

Force is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its acceleration. This is known as Newton's Second Law of Motion: F = m x a. If the object is not accelerating, the force acting on it is equal to its weight, which is the force of gravity pulling it down.

3. What are the different types of forces?

There are several types of forces, including gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear. Other forces include friction, tension, normal force, and applied force.

4. How does force affect the trailer wall?

The force on the trailer wall depends on the direction and magnitude of the force acting on it. If the trailer is stationary, the force on the wall is equal to its weight due to gravity. If the trailer is moving, additional forces such as friction and air resistance may also affect the wall.

5. How can the force on the trailer wall be measured?

The force on the trailer wall can be measured using a force meter or a spring scale. These devices use a spring or elastic material that stretches or compresses in response to the force applied and provides a reading of the force in Newtons. Other methods of measuring force include using equations and analyzing the motion of the trailer.