What is the Frequency of the Sound Wave Produced by a Vibrating Guitar String?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the speed of transverse waves on a 63.5-cm-long string of a guitar, the new fundamental frequency of the string if the tension is increased by 1.0%, the frequency of the sound wave produced in the air by the vibration of the string, and the wavelength of the sound wave. The equations v = sqrt(T/μ) and fn = n*v/(2L) are used to solve the problems. The correct solution for part C is fn = (1*311.15 m/s)/(2*0.635m) = 245.0 Hz.
Northbysouth

Homework Statement

One of the 63.5-cm-long strings of an ordinary guitar is tuned to produce the note B3 (frequency 245 Hz) when vibrating in its fundamental mode.

A) Find the speed of transverse waves on this string.

B) If the tension in this string is increased by 1.0%, what will be the new fundamental frequency of the string?

C) If the speed of sound in the surrounding air is 344 m/s, find the frequency of the sound wave produced in the air by the vibration of the B3 string.

D) If the speed of sound in the surrounding air is 344 {\rm m/s}, find the wavelength of the sound wave produced in the air by the vibration of the B3 string.

Homework Equations

v = sqrt(T/μ) where T is tension and μ is the linear mass density which is equal to mass/length

fn = n*v/(2L) where n is the mode, v is the wave speed and l is the length

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to solve parts A and B like so:

A) 2L*fn/n = v

thus

v = 2*0.635 m * 245Hz/1
v = 311.15 m/s

B)

I multiplied v by sqrt(1.01) thus v*sqrt(1.01) = 312.702

so

fn = (1*312.702 m/s)/(2*0.635m)
fn = 246.2 Hz

C) This is the part I'm stuck with. I tried:

fn = (1*344 m/s) / 2*0.635m)
fn = 270.9 Hz

My answer is wrong and I can't figure out how else to approach this problem. Could someone point me in the right direction?

D) I haven't tried to solve this part yet as I figured I probably need part C, or at the very least part C would help me solve it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Got it. Thanks.

What is the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave is the number of cycles of compression and rarefaction that occur per second. It is measured in hertz (Hz), with one hertz being equal to one cycle per second.

How is the frequency of a sound wave related to its pitch?

The frequency of a sound wave is directly related to its pitch. Higher frequency sound waves have a higher pitch, while lower frequency sound waves have a lower pitch. This is why a high-pitched sound, like a bird chirping, has a higher frequency than a low-pitched sound, like a foghorn.

What factors affect the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave can be affected by several factors, including the source of the sound, the medium through which it travels, and any obstructions or barriers in the path of the sound wave. Temperature, humidity, and air pressure can also have an impact on the frequency of a sound wave.

How do we measure the frequency of a sound wave?

The frequency of a sound wave is typically measured using specialized equipment, such as an oscilloscope or a frequency counter. These devices can detect and measure the electrical signals produced by sound waves and convert them into a numerical frequency value.

What is the range of human hearing in terms of frequency?

The average range of human hearing is between 20 Hz and 20,000 Hz. However, this range can vary from person to person and can also decrease with age. Some animals, such as bats and dolphins, have a much wider range of hearing, while others, like elephants, have a lower range of hearing.