What Is the Frequency of the Voltage Source in an LRC Series AC Circuit?

You can check your calculations by plugging in the known values for VR and C and solving for w.In summary, an AC voltage source with an amplitude of 4V rms is connected in series with a 1 uF capacitor and a 750 ohm resistor. The voltage across the resistor is 3V rms and the voltage across the capacitor is 2.7V rms. Using the equation Z = (R^2 + (1/wC)^2)^1/2, the frequency of the voltage source can be determined by solving for w.
Fisicks

Homework Statement

An ac voltage source is connected in series with a 1 uF capacitor and a 750 ohm resistor. The amplitude of the voltage source is measured to be 4V rms while the voltages across the resistor and across the capacitor are 3V rms and 2.7V rms respectively. Determine the frequency of the voltage source.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I said that the current going through the resistor is 250, and then Z=(750^2 + (1/wC)^2)^1/2. So i let 4/250=Z but this isn't right, where am i going wrong?

Thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
This is just an RC circuit (no inductor). Anyway, one the problems I can see with your calculations is that if

VR = IZR = IR,

Then I = VR/R = 3 Vrms / 750 ohm = 4 mArms

not 250 A.

Ok, so I would do 4/(4x10^-3)=Z then?

Fisicks said:
Ok, so I would do 4/(4x10^-3)=Z then?

It should work. Did you try it? Based on your first post, it seems like you know what the correct answer is supposed to be.

!

I would first clarify the units being used for the resistor and capacitor. Are they in ohms and farads respectively? This is important for accurately calculating the impedance.

Assuming they are in the correct units, I would approach this problem by first finding the total impedance (Z) of the circuit using the formula Z = √(R^2 + (1/ωC)^2), where R is the resistance and ω is the angular frequency. From the given information, we can plug in the values to get Z = √(750^2 + (1/ω(1x10^-6))^2) = 750.31 ohms.

Next, we know that the rms voltage across the resistor (VR) is 3V and the rms voltage across the capacitor (VC) is 2.7V. Using Ohm's law (V = IR), we can find the rms current (I) in the circuit. For the resistor, I = VR/R = 3/750 = 0.004A. For the capacitor, I = VC/Z = 2.7/750.31 = 0.0036A.

Now, we can use the fact that the total current in a series circuit is equal to the sum of the individual currents. Therefore, I = 0.004 + 0.0036 = 0.0076A. Since we know that I = V/Z, we can rearrange this equation to solve for ω, which gives us ω = V/IZ = 4/(0.0076x750.31) = 697.37 rad/s.

Finally, we can convert this angular frequency to frequency (f) by dividing by 2π, giving us a frequency of approximately 111 Hz.

In conclusion, the frequency of the voltage source in this LRC series AC circuit is approximately 111 Hz.

Related to What Is the Frequency of the Voltage Source in an LRC Series AC Circuit?

What is the LRC series AC circuit?

The LRC series AC circuit is a type of electrical circuit that contains three components: an inductor (L), a resistor (R), and a capacitor (C). When an alternating current (AC) is applied to this circuit, the components work together to create a series of oscillations, or back-and-forth movements of electric energy.

What is the purpose of an LRC series AC circuit?

The LRC series AC circuit is used in a variety of applications, such as filters, oscillators, and resonant circuits. Its main purpose is to control the flow of electric energy and alter the frequency of an AC signal.

How does an LRC series AC circuit differ from other types of circuits?

An LRC series AC circuit is different from other types of circuits in that it contains all three components (inductor, resistor, and capacitor) in a series configuration. This means that the components are connected one after the other, rather than in parallel or a combination of both.

What are the advantages of using an LRC series AC circuit?

One of the main advantages of using an LRC series AC circuit is its ability to filter out unwanted frequencies in a signal. It can also be used to tune a circuit to a specific frequency, making it useful in applications such as radios and televisions.

What are some common applications of LRC series AC circuits?

LRC series AC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices such as radios, televisions, and audio equipment. They are also used in power distribution systems to control the flow of electricity and prevent power surges. In addition, they are used in telecommunications systems to transmit and receive signals.