What is the frictional force on a wheel-disk system?

In summary: Hmmm... Equilibrium means what? So how much acceleration?Forces, not acceleration.In this case, the wheel-hoop thing is just a slightly unusually shaped lever.Also, the question explicitly says to indicate the direction.
jake010
Homework Statement
Find the magnitude and direction of the frictional force applied at point P if the system is to be in equilibrium.
Relevant Equations
m= 0.2 kg
M= 1.5 kg
r= 0.1 m
R= 0.3 m
g = 10 m/s^2

friction in axle and pulley, and mass of spokes and pulley are negligible

Correct answer: Fr = 5N
The figure is in the attached image.

My attempt:

I(wheel-disk system) = 0.5mr^2 + MR ^2
= 0.5(0.2kg)(0.1m)^2 + (1.5kg)(0.3m)^2
= 0.136(kg)(m^2)

Fnet(of object) = Ma
Mg - T = Ma
T = Mg - Ma

Fnet (wheel-disk system) = (M+m)a
Mg- Ma - Fr = (M+m)a
a = 0 because system in equilibrium
Mg - Fr = 0
Fr = Mg
Fr = 15N

This answer is incorrect, the correct answer is 5N and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Attachments

• Annotation 2019-12-04 174106.png
    Annotation 2019-12-04 174106.png
    7.5 KB · Views: 124
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you are way over complicating the problem. The weight of the disk and hoop are irrelvant, since at equilibruim they are totally in balance. The only thing that matters is the ration of the radii and the force pulling on the inner rim. I get an answer of 5N

phinds said:
I think you are way over complicating the problem. The weight of the disk and hoop are irrelvant, since at equilibruim they are totally in balance. The only thing that matters is the ration of the radii and the force pulling on the inner rim. I get an answer of 5N

Sorry if I'm not getting this but isn't the force pulling on the inner rim Mg (=15N) making frictional force 15N to cancel out the force pulling on the disk?

jake010 said:
Sorry if I'm not getting this but isn't the force pulling on the inner rim Mg (=15N) making frictional force 15N to cancel out the force pulling on the disk?
Yes, that is exactly what it would do if the frictional force were on the same rim as the weight, but it's 3 times farther out. 15/3 = 5

You may now smack yourself in the forehead :smile:

phinds said:
Yes, that is exactly what it would do if the frictional force were on the same rim as the weight, but it's 3 times farther out. 15/3 = 5

You may now smack yourself in the forehead :smile:

Wait I think I get it now. So you divide force by 3 because angular acceleration stays the same but radius is 3 times larger, and linear acceleration = (angular acceleration)(radius), right? Thanks for the help!

jake010 said:
Wait I think I get it now. So you divide force by 3 because angular acceleration stays the same but radius is 3 times larger, and linear acceleration = (angular acceleration)(radius), right? Thanks for the help!

Hmmm... Equilibrium means what? So how much acceleration?

Forces, not acceleration.

In this case, the wheel-hoop thing is just a slightly unusually shaped lever.

Also, the question explicitly says to indicate the direction.

What is the frictional force on a wheel-disk system?

The frictional force on a wheel-disk system refers to the force that resists the motion between the wheel and the surface it is in contact with. It is caused by the microscopic interactions between the two surfaces and can be influenced by factors such as the type of surfaces, the amount of force applied, and the presence of lubricants.

What factors affect the magnitude of the frictional force?

The magnitude of the frictional force is affected by several factors, including the roughness and texture of the surfaces in contact, the normal force applied, the coefficient of friction between the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants. The greater the normal force and coefficient of friction, the greater the frictional force will be. Rougher surfaces and the absence of lubricants can also increase the frictional force.

How is the coefficient of friction determined for a wheel-disk system?

The coefficient of friction for a wheel-disk system can be determined by conducting experiments to measure the force required to move the wheel at a constant speed along the surface. The coefficient of friction is then calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force. This value may vary depending on the specific materials and conditions of the system.

Can the direction of the frictional force change?

Yes, the direction of the frictional force can change depending on the direction of motion of the wheel. The frictional force always acts in the direction opposite to the motion of the wheel, so if the wheel is rolling forward, the frictional force will act backwards. However, if the wheel is rolling backwards, the frictional force will act forwards.

Can the frictional force be eliminated in a wheel-disk system?

No, the frictional force cannot be completely eliminated in a wheel-disk system. However, it can be reduced by using smoother surfaces, applying lubricants, or decreasing the normal force. In some cases, such as in a vacuum, the frictional force may be significantly reduced, but it can never be completely eliminated due to the microscopic interactions between surfaces.