What is the Ideal Plasma Pressure for Successful Fusion?

In summary, fusion involves considerations of ion density and confinement time, as well as temperature and pressure. While pressure can be calculated from density and temperature, it is not always expressed in pascals. The minimum pressure for DT fusion is not specified, but it is usually around 2 atm, with ITER aiming for 90 kPa. Temperatures need to be around 100 million K for successful fusion.
korneld
I am trying to wrap my head around the concepts in fusion. They talk about ion density, but I don't ever see that expressed in pascals, for instance. Why is that? I understand that confinment time is also important for successful fusion and that they go hand in hand, but I'm not concerned about that right now.

Physics news on Phys.org
Density and temperature fix the pressure, no need to use all three parameters, but you can find pressure values. 200 kPa here, for example.

Likes korneld
mfb said:
Density and temperature fix the pressure, no need to use all three parameters, but you can find pressure values. 200 kPa here, for example.

OK, cool. Thanks. With this in mind, what is the minimum pressure and temp at which DT fusion occurs? They talk about the record of 2 atm, but they don't say how far off they were.

There is no minimum pressure but it should be roughly in that range. ITER aims at 90 kPa as far as I know.
Temperatures need to be around 100 million K.

1. What is plasma pressure in fusion?

Plasma pressure is a measure of the force exerted by the plasma in a fusion reactor. It is the result of the high temperature and density of the plasma, which creates a high pressure environment.

2. How is plasma pressure related to fusion reactions?

Plasma pressure is a critical factor in initiating and sustaining fusion reactions. It must reach a certain threshold in order for the nuclei of atoms to overcome their natural repulsion and fuse together, releasing energy in the process.

3. How is plasma pressure controlled in a fusion reactor?

In a fusion reactor, plasma pressure is controlled by a combination of magnetic fields and heating methods. Magnetic fields confine the plasma and prevent it from escaping, while heating methods such as lasers or radio waves increase the temperature and density of the plasma, thus increasing its pressure.

4. What challenges are faced in maintaining plasma pressure for fusion?

Maintaining plasma pressure in a fusion reactor is a major challenge due to the extreme conditions required. The plasma must be heated to temperatures over 100 million degrees Celsius and confined for extended periods of time, which requires advanced technology and materials that can withstand such intense conditions.

5. How does plasma pressure compare to other sources of energy?

Plasma pressure in fusion reactions is much higher than other sources of energy, such as fossil fuels or nuclear fission. This is because fusion reactions release significantly more energy per unit of fuel, making it a more efficient and sustainable source of energy for the future.