What is the last odd digit in the factorial sequence?

• MHB
  • Thread starter ittalo25
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factorial
In summary, the question asks for the first digit (on the right side) after all the zeros of $a_k$, where $a_k = \frac{(k+9)!}{(k-1)!}$. The possible answers are odd numbers from 1 to 9. To determine this digit, we need to find the value of $a_k$ and see which digit is at the end of the number after all the zeros are removed. This can be done by breaking down $a_k$ into its prime factors, 2 and 5, and finding the difference between the number of 2's and 5's. If there are more 5's than 2's, then the last non-zero digit will
ittalo25
Hi guys, my english is very bad but let me try translate the question:

Let $ a_n=\frac{(n+9)!}{(n-1)!} $ . Let k the lesser natural number since that the first digit (on the right side) after all the zeros of $ a_k $ is odd.

Example: $ a_k =$ 4230000000 or $ a_k =$ 62345000

This odd digit number is:

a) 1
b) 3
c) 5
d) 7
e) 9$ a_k = \frac{(k+9)!}{(k-1)!} = k \cdot (k+1)\cdot(k+2)\cdot (k+3)\cdot ... \cdot (k+9) $

We have ten consecutives numbers, which are 5 odds and 5 evens.

By the conditions, we need to have $ a_k = 2^{x}\cdot 5^{y}\cdot... $ with $y \geq x$

But I don't know how continue.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
ittalo25 said:
Hi guys, my english is very bad but let me try translate the question:

Let $ a_n=\frac{(n+9)!}{(n-1)!} $ . Let k the lesser natural number since that the first digit (on the right side) after all the zeros of $ a_k $ is odd.

Example: $ a_k =$ 4230000000 or $ a_k =$ 62345000

This odd digit number is:

a) 1
b) 3
c) 5
d) 7
e) 9$ a_k = \frac{(k+9)!}{(k-1)!} = k \cdot (k+1)\cdot(k+2)\cdot (k+3)\cdot ... \cdot (k+9) $

We have ten consecutives numbers, which are 5 odds and 5 evens.

By the conditions, we need to have $ a_k = 2^{x}\cdot 5^{y}\cdot... $ with $y \geq x$

But I don't know how continue.

There are more 5's than 2 . after 5's get paired with 2 we get zeros at the end and only od numberer remains along with 5. so last non zero digit is 5.

1. What is a factorial?

A factorial is a mathematical function that is represented by an exclamation mark (!). It is used to find the product of all positive integers up to a given number. For example, 5! is equal to 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

2. How do you calculate a factorial?

To calculate a factorial, you multiply the given number by all the positive integers that are smaller than it. For example, to calculate 5!, you would multiply 5 x 4 x 3 x 2 x 1 = 120.

3. What is the last digit of a factorial?

The last digit of a factorial depends on the given number. For example, the last digit of 5! is 0, while the last digit of 6! is 0 as well. However, the last digit of 7! is 4 and the last digit of 8! is 8. It follows a pattern where the last digit repeats every 5 factorials.

4. Can the last digit of a factorial be predicted?

Yes, the last digit of a factorial can be predicted using the pattern mentioned above. For any given number, you can find the last digit of its factorial by looking at the last digit of the previous factorial. For example, to find the last digit of 10!, you can look at the last digit of 9!, which is 8, and know that the last digit of 10! will also be 8.

5. What is the significance of the last digit of a factorial?

The last digit of a factorial can be used to solve various mathematical problems and puzzles. It is also useful in determining the divisibility of a number by a factorial. For example, if a number is divisible by the last digit of its factorial, then it is also divisible by the factorial itself. Additionally, the last digit of a factorial can be used in encryption methods and coding algorithms.