What is the length of the can above the water level?

In summary: So, in this case, the specific gravity of the fluid is 0.8, so the cube's density is 8/10 or 80% of the density of water. Since the cube is 50% submerged in the fluid, its weight is also 50% of what it would be on land, or 500N. Since the cube is trying to lift itself out of the fluid, it will experience an up-thrust. That up-thrust is 4000 kg/m3.
rhodium
Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me out with this question as my exam is tomorow.

Homework Statement

A 355 mL soda can with diameter=6.2 cm has a mass of 20g. If it is half full with water, and it is floating upright on water, what length of the can is abover the water level?

Homework Equations

[tex]\rho[/tex] = m/V

F of buoyancy = [tex]\rho[/tex] of fluid*V of fluid displaced*g = [tex]\rho[/tex] of object*V of object*g

Since V= Area*height, and the area is the same, then the Area cancel out and we are left with:
[tex]\rho[/tex] of fluid*h of fluid displaced = [tex]\rho[/tex] of object*h of object

Isolating for height of fluid displaced

height of fluid displaced = [tex]\rho[/tex] of object*h of object/[tex]\rho[/tex] of fluid

[tex]\rho[/tex] is density

so height above water level = (H of object) - (H of fluid displaced)

The Attempt at a Solution

m of object = 0.02 kg + (355 mL/2)(1 g/1 mL)
= 177.52 g

density of object = m of object/ volume
= 0.17752 kg / 0.000355 m^3
= 500 kg/m^3

h =V / ([tex]\pi[/tex] * radius^2)
= 11.76 cm
= 0.1176 m

Now, subbing into the buoyancy eqation:

height of fluid displaced = ([tex]\rho[/tex] of object) (h of object) / ([tex]\rho[/tex] of fluid)
= (50)(0.1176 )/1000
= 0.0588 m

height above water level = (H of object) - (H of fluid displaced)
= 0.1176 -0.0588
= 5.88 cm

The answer is 5.2 cm.

Physics news on Phys.org
rhodium said:
m of object = 0.02 kg + (355 mL/2)(1 g/1 mL)
= 177.52 g
Recheck your arithmetic.

hey,

God...Thank you sooo much. It took me a while to notice it actually. :)

i got a similar problem with fluid dynamics , i got a test later in the week haven't been prepped for it at all just been handed some sheets wondering if anyone could help with an example i have got , as it will help me see what i need to do for future reference
thanks in advance

QUESTION

A cube of 0.25m length sides which has a weight of 50N is immersed in a tank of fluid .

If the specific gravity of teh fluid is 0.8, calculate
a) the density of the cube material
b) the density of the fluid
c) the resultant up-thrust of the cube

ATTEMPTS

w=mg
50=mg
50/0.8 = m
m = 62.5 kg

p=m/v
p=62.5/0.25x0.25x0.25
p=4000 kg/m3

Thats all i can manage i haven't really been taught this yet so any help would be appreciated

Hey,

I'll try to help with what I know.

It might help you to know this:

specific gravity of a fluid = density of fluid/density of water.

Related to What is the length of the can above the water level?

1. What is fluid dynamics?

Fluid dynamics is the study of how fluids, such as liquids and gases, move and behave under different conditions. It includes the principles of motion, energy, and forces as they relate to fluids.

2. What is hydrostatic pressure?

Hydrostatic pressure is the pressure exerted by a fluid at a certain point due to the weight of the fluid above it. It is dependent on the density and depth of the fluid, and is responsible for the buoyancy force that allows objects to float in fluids.

3. How is hydrostatic pressure related to depth?

Hydrostatic pressure increases with depth because the weight of the fluid above a certain point increases as depth increases. This is due to the force of gravity acting on the fluid particles. The deeper the point is, the more particles are above it, and the higher the pressure.

4. What is Pascal's law?

Pascal's law states that when a force is applied to a confined fluid, the pressure change is transmitted equally throughout the entire fluid. This means that a change in pressure at one point in a fluid will result in an equal change in pressure at all other points.

5. How is Bernoulli's principle related to fluid dynamics?

Bernoulli's principle states that as the speed of a fluid increases, the pressure decreases. This is due to the conservation of energy in a fluid system, where the sum of kinetic and potential energies remains constant. This principle is important in understanding the lift force on airplane wings and the flow of fluids through pipes.