What is the linear charge density of the insulating shell in this problem?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an infinite line of charge and a thick insulating shell. The goal is to find the linear charge density of the insulating shell, which is initially confusing as the shell is not linear. After some attempts at using different equations, the problem is solved by finding the bound surface charge of the insulating shell. The conversation ends with the original poster sharing the solution.
aholtman

Homework Statement

An infinite line of charge with linear density λ = 7.5 μC/m is positioned along the axis of a thick insulating shell of inner radius a = 2.9 cm and outer radius b = 4.9 cm. The insulating shell is uniformly charged with a volume density of ρ = -612 μC/m3.

What is λ2, the linear charge density of the insulating shell?

Homework Equations

I know that linear charge density equals q/L and that volume density equals q/V

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried multiplying the volume density times the volume of the shell and then dividing by the length of the shell. But I ran into a problem because I don't really know what the length of a shell would be. I tried finding the circumference of the outer edge and then subtracting the circumference of the inner edge from that and using that number as my length, but it didn't work. When I did that, I got -1.9 μC/m as my answer

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, I actually don't quite know what the problem is asking for. Did you post verbatim what the problem is? It would make a lot more since if it was asking for say [itex]\sigma_b[/tex], the bound surface charge, of the insulating shell. Furthermore, I don't even know explicitly what shape this "shell" is.

yeah, I posted exactly what the problem was asking. and I tried to put the picture in, but I guess it didn't work. Its a spherical shell. I just don't know how to find the linear charge density for something that isn't linear

Can you upload the picture to a free image hosting site like imageshack.us and post a link to it so we can see the problem setup?

I've got it worked out now, but thanks anyway!

Just curious, what did the problem end up meaning by "line charge."

Hey can u tell me how u did that..

Related to What is the linear charge density of the insulating shell in this problem?

1. What is a charged cylindrical shell?

A charged cylindrical shell is a type of electrostatic system where electric charge is distributed uniformly on the surface of a cylindrical object.

2. How does a charged cylindrical shell behave?

A charged cylindrical shell behaves as if all the charge is concentrated at the center of the cylinder, creating a uniform electric field inside and on the surface of the cylinder.

3. What is the formula for the electric field inside a charged cylindrical shell?

The formula for the electric field inside a charged cylindrical shell is E = Q/2πε0R, where Q is the total charge on the cylinder, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, and R is the radius of the cylinder.

4. How does the electric field outside a charged cylindrical shell vary?

Outside the charged cylindrical shell, the electric field varies inversely with the distance from the center of the cylinder and follows the same formula as the electric field for a point charge: E = Q/4πε0r2.

5. What is the significance of a charged cylindrical shell?

A charged cylindrical shell is an important concept in electrostatics as it helps understand the behavior of electric fields and potential in a cylindrical system. It is also a useful model for many real-life situations, such as coaxial cables and cylindrical capacitors.