What is the Magnitude of Deceleration of a Meteorite Striking a Car?

In summary, a 27 lb meteorite traveling at 520 m/s struck a car, creating a 27 cm deep dent in the trunk. To find the magnitude of the deceleration, we can use the equation s=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2, where s is the distance of penetration (27 cm), a is the acceleration (what we are solving for), t is time (not provided), v is the final velocity (0 m/s), and u is the initial velocity (520 m/s). Since we do not have time, we can use the equation s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 to eliminate it from the equation. This gives us a final equation of a
Champ07

Homework Statement

A 27 lb meteorite struck a car, leaving a 27 cm deep in the trunk. If the meteorite stuck the car with a 520 m/s what was the magnitude of deceleration assuming it to be constant

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I have to be honest I have no clue whatsoever could someone please direct me on how to just attack this question because I have no idea where to begin

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the simultaneous equations [tex]s=vt-\frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] and [tex]s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2 [/tex].

Sorry if this is a stupid response but I just started taking Physics this week and have no idea what those letters stand for.

Well, "s" is the distance, which would be the distance of penetration in this case, "a" is the acceleration, "t" is the time, "v" is the final velocity, and "u" is the initial velocity.

So s = 27 cm, a = what your looking for v = 0 m/s u = 520 m/s what's the time here?

if you're not given time, you will need to choose a diff eqn or you can plug 1 eqn into another to get rid of time.

If you look at your kinematic equations, can you find one that relates all the things you have there without time? You don't need time to solve this problem. You can do it with one equation.

What is deceleration?

Deceleration refers to the act of slowing down or decreasing speed.

Why is deceleration important?

Deceleration is important because it helps us control our speed and come to a stop safely, whether in a vehicle or while performing physical activities.

What are the different types of deceleration?

The three main types of deceleration are linear deceleration, angular deceleration, and negative acceleration.

How is deceleration different from acceleration?

Deceleration is the opposite of acceleration, where acceleration refers to an increase in speed or velocity.

What are some common examples of deceleration in everyday life?

Some common examples of deceleration include slowing down while driving a car, coming to a stop while riding a bike, and gradually decreasing speed while running.