What is the magnitude of the force exerted by friction?

In summary, the problem involves a 600-kg car traveling at 30.0 m/s around a curve with a radius of 120 m and an angle of 25.0°. The coefficient of static friction between the car's tires and the road is 0.300. Using Newton's second law equations, the magnitude of the force exerted by friction can be determined by assuming no sliding and calculating the force from other information. The static coefficient is then checked to see if it is high enough to prevent sliding. If not, the kinetic coefficient would be used to calculate the frictional force, but in this case it is likely that the car will not slide.
CStudy

Homework Statement

Question: [/B]A 600-kg car traveling at 30.0 m/s is going around a curve having a radius of 120 m that is banked at an angle of 25.0°. The coefficient of static friction between the car's tires and the road is 0.300. What is the magnitude of the force exerted by friction on the car?

Homework Equations

F = ma

The Attempt at a Solution

http://imgur.com/FLrr1D6

Netwon 2nd Law Equations:
$$\sum F_{net, x} = nsin\theta +f_{s}cos\theta =m\frac{v^2}{r}$$
$$\sum F_{net, y}=ncos\theta -f_{s}sin\theta -mg =0$$
$$f_{s} = \mu n$$

Can anyone verify I am on the right track for solving the magnitude of the force exerted by friction. I have a feeling my equations maybe incorrect.

Here is the link to my diagram if it does not show. http://imgur.com/FLrr1D6

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equations look OK.

CStudy said:
##f_{s} = \mu_s n##
That is not quite right.

Any suggestions on how do define the static friction? Haruspex, what you have pointed out is the source of my confusion. I understand the the static friction combined with some of the normal force is the cause of the centripetal acceleration, but I am having difficulties creating a mathematical model.

Should I just ignored defining the static friction and just solve for the components? You think that would give me the correct answer.

CStudy said:
Any suggestions on how do define the static friction? Haruspex, what you have pointed out is the source of my confusion. I understand the the static friction combined with some of the normal force is the cause of the centripetal acceleration, but I am having difficulties creating a mathematical model.

Should I just ignored defining the static friction and just solve for the components? You think that would give me the correct answer.
I haven't done the calculation, but it probably would in the present case.
With static friction, it is important to remember the coefficient only tells you the maximum ratio of frictional force to normal force. If the surfaces are not sliding, the magnitude of the frictional force is anything up to ##\mu_sN##.

Logically, you should assume no sliding, determine the force from the other information, then check if the static coefficient is high enough. If not, it will slde, so you then calculate the frictional force using the kinetic coefficient. Since you are not told the kinetic coefficient, it is very likely that it will not slide.

What is the magnitude of the force exerted by friction?

The magnitude of the force exerted by friction depends on several factors, including the types of materials in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the force pressing the surfaces together. Generally, frictional force increases as the weight pressing the surfaces together increases and as the roughness of the surfaces increases.

How is the magnitude of frictional force calculated?

The magnitude of frictional force can be calculated using the formula F = μN, where F is the frictional force, μ is the coefficient of friction, and N is the normal force. The coefficient of friction is a constant that depends on the types of materials in contact, while the normal force is the force pressing the surfaces together.

What is the difference between static and kinetic frictional force?

Static frictional force is the force that prevents an object from moving when it is at rest, while kinetic frictional force is the force that opposes the motion of an object that is already in motion. Static frictional force is typically greater than kinetic frictional force, as it takes more force to overcome the initial resistance and set an object in motion.

How does the surface area of contact affect the magnitude of frictional force?

The surface area of contact does not directly affect the magnitude of frictional force. However, it can indirectly affect it by increasing or decreasing the normal force. For example, if the weight of an object pressing down on a surface is spread out over a larger surface area, the normal force will be spread out as well, resulting in a lower frictional force.

Can frictional force be eliminated?

In theory, frictional force can be eliminated by using materials with very low coefficients of friction, such as Teflon. However, in practical applications, frictional force is necessary for many tasks, such as walking, driving, and gripping objects. Additionally, completely eliminating frictional force would require an environment with no air resistance, which is not possible on Earth.