What is the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders?

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods and formulas for calculating the maximum electric field between two cylindrical shells. The correct formula is found to be E=λ/(2πε0r), and it can be proven using Gauss's law. The conversation also addresses the question of what the maximum electric field magnitude is and determines that it occurs at a lower value of r.
hidemi
Homework Statement
Two long conducting cylindrical shells are coaxial and have radii of 20 mm and 80 mm. The electric potential of the inner conductor, with respect to the outer conductor, is +700V. What is the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders?

The given answer is 25,000 V/m.
Relevant Equations
E= (-kQ/r)⋅ dr
I used a couple ways to do this question, but I got neither correct. Can someone help, please? Thank you.

1. E= V/r = 700 / (60*10^-3) = 11667 (very far from the given answer)

2. E = (-kQ/r)⋅ dr
= kQ/r^2
= kQ/ [( 1/20/ 10^-3)^2 - (1/80/10^-3)^2]
(For this method, I stuck because I don't know kQ)

Physics news on Phys.org
Neither of the formula you use is correct for the electric field of such a system configuration. The correct formula is $$E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}$$ and $$V=\int Edr=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\ln r$$ where ##\lambda## is the linear charge density (Coulomb/meter) of the inner cylindrical shell.
Now, first show me that you able to prove the above formulas (you have to use the integral form of Gauss's law to prove the first, the second is just the integral of the first) and then we can continue.

Delta2 said:
Neither of the formula you use is correct for the electric field of such a system configuration. The correct formula is $$E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}$$ and $$V=\int Edr=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\ln r$$ where ##\lambda## is the linear charge density (Coulomb/meter) of the inner cylindrical shell.
Now, first show me that you able to prove the above formulas (you have to use the integral form of Gauss's law to prove the first, the second is just the integral of the first) and then we can continue.
1.jpeg

700 = λ/(2πε) *1.4
E = λ/(2πεr) = 700/(1.4*r) = 500/(2*10^-3)
I use 20*10^-3 meters to plug in 'r' and get the correct answer, but I"m not sure why.

hidemi said:
View attachment 282504
700 = λ/(2πε) *1.4
I use 20*10^-3 meters to plug in 'r' and get the correct answer, but I"m not sure why.
The problem statement asks for the maximum electric field. For which value of r you think is the maximum as long as the electric field is given by the formula at post #2? But still you haven't proved the formula for the electric field.

Delta2 said:
The problem statement asks for the maximum electric field. For which value of r you think is the maximum as long as the electric field is given by the formula at post #2? But still you haven't proved the formula for the electric field.
I think I has proved the formula for the electric field as my attachment in post #3(as below):

V=∫ (λ/2πε0r)⋅dr
= (λ/2πε0r)∫ (1/r)⋅dr
= (λ/2πε0r) ln r

Could you give me some more hints if it is not you want me to do which I attached in post #3 (as above)?

That's the proof of the formula for the potential. The formula for the electric field ##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}## you haven't prove it yet. To prove it you need to use Gauss's law and take as surface a cylinder with radius r in between the radius of 20mm and 80mm.

Delta2 said:
That's the proof of the formula for the potential. The formula for the electric field ##E=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0}\frac{1}{r}## you haven't prove it yet. To prove it you need to use Gauss's law and take as surface a cylinder with radius r in between the radius of 20mm and 80mm.
11.jpg

Your first line is correct, but then i can't understand what you are doing in 2nd and 3rd lines. In 2nd line you have what it seems to me a line integral which simply is incompatible with the surface integral at line 1.
How can you proceed from line 1 to calculate that integral. Remember that our surface is a cylinder with radius r 20mm<r<80mm. Answer this question: How is the electric field magnitude and direction over this surface?

Delta2 said:
Your first line is correct, but then i can't understand what you are doing in 2nd and 3rd lines. In 2nd line you have what it seems to me a line integral which simply is incompatible with the surface integral at line 1.
How can you proceed from line 1 to calculate that integral. Remember that our surface is a cylinder with radius r 20mm<r<80mm. Answer this question: How is the electric field magnitude and direction over this surface?
1.jpeg

Is it correct?

Yes that is correct well done!

Delta2 said:
Yes that is correct well done
Thanks for confirming.
However, I am still unsure how to answer "What is the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders?"

As I calculated previously,
700 = λ/(2πε) *1.4

Well , r varies between 20 and 80mm. What can you say about the electric field as a function of r? when we increase r what happens to electric field? it increases or decreases? So the maximum value of E field is for low or high value of r?

Last edited:
Delta2 said:
Well , r varies between 20 and 80mm. What can you say about the electric field as a function of r? when we increase r what happens to electric field? it increases or decreases? So the maximum value of E field is for low or high value of r?
Thanks for the hint. I got it!

1. What factors affect the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders?

The maximum electric field magnitude between cylinders is affected by the distance between the cylinders, the voltage difference between them, and the dielectric constant of the material between the cylinders.

2. How is the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders calculated?

The maximum electric field magnitude between cylinders can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage difference, and d is the distance between the cylinders.

3. What is the relationship between the maximum electric field magnitude and the voltage difference between the cylinders?

The maximum electric field magnitude is directly proportional to the voltage difference between the cylinders. This means that as the voltage difference increases, the maximum electric field magnitude also increases.

4. Can the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders be exceeded?

Yes, it is possible for the maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders to be exceeded. This can happen if the voltage difference between the cylinders is too high or if the distance between the cylinders is too small.

5. How does the dielectric constant of the material between the cylinders affect the maximum electric field magnitude?

The dielectric constant of the material between the cylinders determines the amount of electric field that can be sustained between them. A higher dielectric constant means that a higher electric field can be sustained, resulting in a higher maximum electric field magnitude between the cylinders.