What is the Maximum Power Dissipation for a Zener Diode Regulator?

In summary, the conversation discusses a diagram of a dc power supply with a Zener diode regulator and the determination of the maximum power dissipation for a given load current. The solution involves finding the maximum power dissipation by multiplying the load current by the Zener voltage, and then using this value to calculate the voltage across the 100 ohm resistor. The current through the resistor is dependent on the presence of a load.
roam

Homework Statement

The following is a diagram of dc power supply with a Zener diode regulator. For what load current is the power dissipation of the Zener diode maximum? How would you find the approximate value of this maximum power dissipation?

[PLAIN]http://img40.imageshack.us/img40/7325/diagrami.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I think [tex]P_{z,max}=I_{z,max} V_z[/tex]. Then to find Vz

[tex]V_z = I_z \times 100 \Omega[/tex]

Is this right? I just know that I=Iz+IL, but how do we work out
when is Iz maximum?

(IL is the current through the load)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Assume an input of 12 V across the capacitor Cs.

What is the voltage across the 100 ohm resistor with and without a load?

So, what is the current in the 100 ohm resistor?

Where does this current go when there is a load and when there isn't a load?

1. What is a Zener diode?

A Zener diode is a type of semiconductor diode that allows current to flow in both directions, but also has a specific breakdown voltage at which it starts to conduct heavily in the reverse direction.

2. What is power dissipation in a Zener diode?

Power dissipation in a Zener diode refers to the amount of heat that is generated when current flows through it. This heat is a result of the diode's resistance to the flow of current.

3. How is power dissipation calculated in a Zener diode?

Power dissipation in a Zener diode can be calculated using the formula P = Vz * Iz, where P is the power dissipation in watts, Vz is the Zener voltage, and Iz is the Zener current.

4. Why is power dissipation important in Zener diodes?

Power dissipation is important in Zener diodes because excessive heat can damage the diode or affect its performance. It is important to ensure that the power dissipation does not exceed the maximum rating of the diode.

5. How can power dissipation be controlled in Zener diodes?

Power dissipation in Zener diodes can be controlled by using a series resistor to limit the current flowing through the diode. Additionally, choosing a diode with a higher power rating can also help to reduce power dissipation.