What is the meaning of the arrow symbol on this gate valve schematic?

In summary, The conversation is about a gate valve schematic symbol that the speaker can't find any information on. They are working with an air system that uses two valves of this design according to the schematic. The speaker is seeking clarification on the specifics of this type of valve, particularly the meaning of the small arrow symbol. They suggest contacting the organization that provided the drawing for clarification as it may not be a standard gate valve.
KiltedEngineer
I've come across a gate valve schematic symbol that I can't find any information on. It is the standard symbol with a small arrow pointing out from the side of it. I am working with an air system, and it uses two valves of this design according to the schematic. Can anyone tell me the specifics of this type of valve? Please see attached photo.

Any help is most appreciated.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    12.8 KB · Views: 423
Engineering news on Phys.org
The arrow part of the valve would generally indicate the type of valve operator but I have never seen nor does a review of the standard symbols of valves and operators reveal the use of the arrow type symbol. I recommend you contact the organization that provided the drawing with this valve symbol for its clarification. It may not be a gate valve.

1. What is a gate valve schematic?

A gate valve schematic is a diagram that shows the internal components and structure of a gate valve, including the gate, stem, bonnet, body, and other important parts. It is used to understand the flow of fluid through the valve and how it operates.

2. How does a gate valve work?

A gate valve works by using a gate or wedge-shaped disc to control the flow of fluid through a pipe. When the valve is open, the gate is lifted out of the way, allowing fluid to pass through. When the valve is closed, the gate is lowered, blocking the flow of fluid.

3. What are the advantages of a gate valve?

Some advantages of a gate valve include: a full bore design that allows for minimal pressure drop, a tight seal that prevents leakage, and a simple design that is easy to operate and maintain. They are also able to handle high pressure and high temperature applications.

4. How is a gate valve different from other types of valves?

A gate valve is different from other types of valves because it uses a gate or wedge-shaped disc to control the flow of fluid, whereas other valves, such as ball valves or butterfly valves, use a different type of mechanism. Gate valves also have a linear motion, meaning they open and close in a straight line, while other valves may have a rotational or quarter-turn motion.

5. What are common applications for gate valves?

Gate valves are commonly used in applications where a tight seal and minimal pressure drop are important, such as in water treatment plants, power plants, and oil and gas pipelines. They are also often used in industrial processes that require high pressure and high temperature control.