What is the meaning of the term 'prompt muon'?

• Thread starter Anchovy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Muon Term
In summary, Muons resulting from charmed particle decays and other so-called prompt or direct processes, often referred to as X-processes, do not manifest the zenith angle dependence which is characteristic for muons from so-called normal processes, i.e., from pion and kaon decays. These muons also have a directional preference (most notably, they don't go up), but the angular dependence is different from the normal processes. Their higher typical energy might be related to it.
Anchovy
In the context of cosmic rays?

Physics news on Phys.org
Google knows the answer:
Muons resulting from charmed particle decays and other so-called prompt or direct processes, often referred to as X-processes, do not manifest the zenith angle dependence which is characteristic for muons from so-called normal processes, i.e., from pion and kaon decays

Ahh, good find. So there are short-lived particles containing c quarks in the atmosphere (which ones specifically and what are they doing there in the first place?) that rapidly decay (hence 'prompt') to muons.

And these muons arrive at the surface with no directional preference... but I'm not fully clear on why... The [itex]\pi, \hspace{1 mm} K[/itex] that decay to produce the usual atmospheric muons might approach from wide zenith angles, and must therefore pass through much more atmosphere than those from small zenith angles, thus scattering more before they decay... but the parent particles of the prompt muons barely pass through any atmosphere regardless of angle... so they don't tend scatter before they decay? And the muons themselves don't scatter much once they've been created?

Anchovy said:
Ahh, good find. So there are short-lived particles containing c quarks in the atmosphere (which ones specifically and what are they doing there in the first place?) that rapidly decay (hence 'prompt') to muons.
High-energy collisions can produce heavy quarks, typically as quark+antiquark pair.

Those muons also have a directional preference (most notably, they don't go up), but the angular dependence is different from the normal processes. Their higher typical energy might be related to it.

Anchovy said:
So there are short-lived particles containing c quarks in the atmosphere (which ones specifically and what are they doing there in the first place?)

I'm not familiar with cosmic-ray studies. However, a long time ago I had a small involvement with an accelerator-based "beam dump" experiment in which a high-energy proton beam was sent into a block of metal. Among the many particle-antiparticle pairs produced in such interactions are some charm-anticharm pairs which produce prompt muons. I suspect you have a similar situation with high-energy cosmic-ray interactions.

(edit: mfb beat me to it while I was typing.)

OK thanks guys.

1. What is a prompt muon?

A prompt muon is a type of muon particle that is produced directly from the decay of other particles, rather than from the decay of other muons. They are usually created in high-energy collisions, such as those that occur in particle accelerators.

2. How is a prompt muon different from other types of muons?

Prompt muons are different from other muons in that they are produced directly from the decay of other particles, rather than from the decay of other muons. They also have higher energies and shorter lifetimes compared to other types of muons.

3. What is the role of prompt muons in particle physics research?

Prompt muons play a crucial role in particle physics research as they can provide important information about the properties and interactions of other particles. They are also used to study high-energy collisions and to test theories in particle physics.

4. How are prompt muons detected and measured in experiments?

Prompt muons are detected and measured using specialized detectors, such as tracking chambers and calorimeters, which are designed to identify and measure the energy and trajectory of particles. These detectors are often used in conjunction with particle accelerators or other high-energy experiments.

5. Are prompt muons used in any practical applications?

While prompt muons are primarily used in particle physics research, they also have some practical applications. For example, they can be used in medical imaging techniques, such as positron emission tomography (PET) scans, and in geophysical studies to image the interior of the Earth.