What is the mechanism behind milk foaming in cappuccinos?

• Thread starter Borek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary: I guess that is why it produces a denser foam.In summary, the espresso machine makes steam, which is bubbled through the milk, creating foam. The steam doesn't condense, and the bubbles don't collapse after the foam is cooled down. The foam gets 'wetter and wetter' until it becomes a bit like Guinness foam, coloured with the espresso coffee when you pour the wet foam into the cup of espresso.
Borek
Mentor
So I was making a cappuccino and I started to wonder - how does the foam form?

I have no problem with the foam itself, milk contains a lot of surfactants that can stabilize the bubbles. But what is inside bubbles?

My espresso machine makes steam, that is bubbled through the milk, creating foam. What I don't get is why the steam doesn't condense and why the bubbles don't collapse after the foam is cooled down?

Physics news on Phys.org
Borek said:
My espresso machine makes steam, that is bubbled through the milk, creating foam.
Is it pure steam, or steam mixed with air?

I would guess it is similar to making polystyrene foam, which gets polymerised in the process. In cappuccino foam, the heat acts on the proteins and whatever else in the foam, making it stickier and more rigid.

Borek said:

I have no problem with the foam itself, milk contains a lot of surfactants that can stabilize the bubbles. But what is inside bubbles?

My espresso machine makes steam, that is bubbled through the milk, creating foam. What I don't get is why the steam doesn't condense and why the bubbles don't collapse after the foam is cooled down?
Frothing is an art form.
I make myself Cafe Latte every day and I am learning the technique of getting foam in the milk. The essential thing is to get air down under the surface of the water. The steam that comes from the nozzle (a single 1.5mm hole seems best for me) pushes the milk into an indentation in the liquid surface which carries air down with it, causing air bubbles on the surface. The steam condenses, of course, and raises the milk temperature. The next phase is to break these bubbles up and to force them further beneath the surface, the smaller bubbles will be pushed down and stay down for longer (upthrust / viscous force ratio being less). As the larger bubbles break down more and more, the foam becomes 'wetter and wetter' until it becomes a bit like Guinness foam, coloured with the espresso coffee when you pour the wet foam into the cup of espresso. (Beautiful.)
For Cappuccino foam, the bubbles are kept nearer the surface and include less milk. This makes a white 'structural' foam, which can be used to make sculptures on the surface (mice. flowers etc)

There are high tech frothers that take all the skill out of the process and they usually have a tube or groove, down which the air is sucked. Starbucks and Costa may not have the time to devote to each cup, of course, so they are excused for taking short cuts.

Last edited:
Borek said:

More than you ever want to know:

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1471-0307.2010.00629.x/abstract
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...=aSVjcJiOgy0bGHFhqfH_vg&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aWM
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0268005X09000587

Apparently, the milk proteins denature during 'foaming', increasing foam stability. Also, since the foam is a fluid-fluid system, as the interior fluid cools, the lamellae (!) can flow, increasing bubble wall thickness.

Thank you guys, definitely several things to think about.

A.T. said:
Is it pure steam, or steam mixed with air?

Good question. I had to clean it so I took apart the nozzle. Apparently it should be capable of mixing steam with air, but at the same time it is sealed with two separate rubber parts, which make it difficult to suck the air.

Last edited:

Related to What is the mechanism behind milk foaming in cappuccinos?

1. What is the physical process behind milk foaming?

The physical process behind milk foaming involves the incorporation of air into the milk through agitation or heating. This causes the milk proteins, specifically casein and whey, to unfold and form a network that traps the air bubbles. As the milk cools, the proteins form a stable foam structure, resulting in a foamy texture.

2. Why does milk foam form a stable structure?

Milk foam forms a stable structure due to the interactions between the milk proteins and the air bubbles. The unfolded proteins form a network that traps the air bubbles, preventing them from escaping. As the milk cools, the proteins continue to strengthen and stabilize the foam structure.

3. How does the fat content of milk affect foam formation?

The fat content of milk can affect foam formation in two ways. Firstly, fat can act as a surfactant, reducing the surface tension of the milk and allowing for easier incorporation of air bubbles. Secondly, the fat globules can also physically interfere with the protein network, making it more difficult to form and stabilize the foam.

4. Why do some methods of heating milk result in better foam formation?

Some methods of heating milk, such as steaming for espresso drinks, can result in better foam formation due to the increase in temperature. As the milk is heated, the proteins unfold and form a stronger network, allowing for better trapping and stabilization of air bubbles. Additionally, the heat can also aid in breaking down the fat globules, resulting in a smoother and more uniform foam.

5. Can other factors besides protein content affect foam formation in milk?

Yes, other factors such as pH, temperature, and the type of milk can also affect foam formation. For example, a lower pH can lead to better foam stability as it promotes the unfolding of proteins. Different types of milk, such as plant-based alternatives, may have different protein structures and compositions, resulting in varying foam textures. Temperature also plays a role as colder milk may have a harder time incorporating air bubbles and forming a stable foam.